22 November 2004

Formula One For Men Only?

I grew up without the benefit of Formula One, apart from occasionally watching the Monaco Grand Prix with my dad when it was shown on American television. Boy, am I making up for it now! And heaven help the man who tells me that women can't properly understand motor sports. The phrase "verbal castration" comes to mind.

Recently one of my problem questions in criminal law was a scenario concerning "Mike" who was a big fan of "Allan Frost" so he sabotaged the cars belonging to "James" and "Stewart", leading to "Stewart's" death because of an engine explosion on track, etc. I think my seminar tutor got more than he bargained for.

First of all I pointed out that because of park ferme conditions, Mike would probably be unable to get anywhere near the two cars. Secondly I explained that the most appropriate charge in regards to Stewart's death would be manslaughter because it was not reasonably foreseeable that a death would occur in the present time with modern safety standards. In addition, there hasn't been a death in F1 since that of Senna in May 1994. Besides, anyone who has seen an engine "blow" knows that there is rarely a fire, let alone a fireball that would engulf the driver. It would be even more unexpected if the damaged engine in question was a Ferrari.

Okay, I didn't expound on my answer to this question in as much detail in class, choosing to discuss more of the legal ramifications, but it still left my male peers dumbfounded.

Of course now I have quite a "tomboy" image. It's not possible for a female to be interested in motor sports without being a tomboy. The fact that I'm the opposite just doesn't make sense to many men. I belong to two of the drivers' supporters clubs, and I can tell you that most of us are as feminine as can be. I recently stood in the queue for an hour so I could get Martin Brundle to sign my copy of his new book, and there wasn't a single tomboy in sight. Plenty of women though.

So the moral of this story is: guys, don't stereotype us or put us down because we're female and F1 fanatics. What we don't already know about the sport we're quick to pick up on. You're welcome to join my forum along with the ladies. I don't discriminate.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home