19 December 2004

Diary Entry

I hate it when it's icy cold. When I woke up this morning, there was so much frost on the shed roof I thought it had snowed. There's a chance of snow today and later this week, including on Christmas Day. Well, I won't mind a white Christmas, seeing as how we aren't leaving the house. Simon said he won't like it so much if he has to go pick Daniel up, but he's never had to pick him up so far on Christmas because either his mum won't let us have him or she prefers to drop him off so she can show up two or three hours late.

The boys were a bit late to school because it took me ages to get the car started, thanks to the failing heater plugs, and trying to get all the ice off the windows. Fortunately they weren't the only ones, and on days like this, the school pretty much expects most of the kids will be a few minutes late.

Now I'm sitting in the freezing shop with my ski jacket on, waiting for the space heater to do its job. It'll probably reach a comfortable temperature sometime around noon, unless someone comes in and leaves the door open. It always happens just as things are warming up! I was supposed to be doing the accounts for my candle business this morning, then heading home for the afternoon, but Simon is still sick with his cold so I'm stuck here all day. At least I remembered my Martin Brundle book today.

And now the snow has started! I love snow, but only when I'm tucked up nice and warm at home! I phoned the Sheffield radio station because they've been giving out snow spotting reports, and the DJ, Matt, asked my name. He didn't understand me the first time (must be the accent, gets them every time). I repeated, "Melinda, like Melinda Messenger, only without the blonde hair and the, well, you know ..." He laughed and said, "But I'll bet just as beautiful." Awwww, what a sweet talker. Good thing he can't see me. I need a hair cut badly and didn't have time to put make up on this morning because of needing to de-ice the car!

The candle business is picking up. I only hope it's not just a Christmas thing! I don't think it necessarily is because a lot of the feedback I've had on ebay has said that the candles "smell wonderful", and if they were giving them as gifts, they wouldn't have opened them. I wrap each one individually and tie it with ribbon. Most of my Christmasy fragrance oils (or flavours, as men seem to call them) didn't even show up until the end of last week. Sometimes I think I give away more than I sell, but my accounts this morning showed otherwise. Today I'm working on one small order and candles for the boys' teachers. It's just not the holidays without sending pressies for the teachers! If they don't like smelly candles, they can give them to someone as a Christmas present!

Simon posted all my candle orders for me this afternoon. That was really sweet, I only asked him to take a few to the post office. I'll bet he's in shock now from having to pay that much! They all had to go First Class to get to their destinations by Christmas. I still haven't posted my international deliveries though. Simon said he was going to do it for me, until he saw one of them was going to Australia. Oops. He wasn't happy, but he'd never tell me I wasn't "allowed" to do something. Besides, I'm sending it to Pete's family from our family. Nothing more innocent than that.

I closed the shop early today. Eckington was absolutely dead, hardly any signs of life apart from the usuals walking back and forth between the pub and the bookie's. Lynn said that Chesterfield town centre was packed, and she was nearly frozen trying to get a bus home. So that's where all my customers were! It was the same on Saturday. People would rather do their Christmas shopping in malls and shopping centres than in their local village.

Simon seems much better this evening, but looks like I'm still going to spend tomorrow working while he rests. I think I'm coming down with his cold, too. Bet I don't get a day off though. Men die with colds; women just get on with it. Okay, that's a broad, sweeping generalisation, I know, but I also have PMT and feel bitchy.

Can my day get any more exciting? Thankfully not, seeing as how it's after 11.00 pm. I don't think I could stand more excitement. It might send me into a coma. The day ends with a late night shop at Tesco (I said I'd missed the deadline for home delivery before Christmas) and forgot enough things that I'm still going to have to make a separate run to Morrisons tomorrow or Wednesday. A white van nearly took me out on a roundabout, but that was the thrill of the night. I've made candles for the boys to take to their teachers, the headteacher and the school secretary tomorrow but forgot to wrap them. I have a candle order that MUST go out tomorrow, and I've only just started the candles. My life is full of wax. Even the fancy cheddar I bought this evening is covered in the stuff. Fitting, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home