25 January 2005

Protest or Shut Up?

Lately I have come across several people who have said that liberals across the world who protest against Bush, Blair, the war in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay should just shut up. As a justification, they point out that in countries such as Iran and China, if you protest, you can be jailed or even "disappear".

This is true. It is an abominable situation when people cannot voice their opinions without fears for their personal safety or that of their family. In many countries we can enjoy the freedom of speech, so far as it does not incited violence or racial hatred. This is one of the principles I firmly believe in. I am proud of living in a country where I can express myself without fear, as I have no intention of inciting people to violence nor am I a racist.

But those who say we liberals should "shut up" because we have the right to say what we think ... guys, that makes no sense! By telling us we should shut up, by telling us we should blindly follow the government of the day, by telling us we should not exercise our free speech, aren't you risking turning our societies into those like China and Iran? It is because we can speak our minds that we should do so. If you don't like it, simply walk away, turn the channel, or click on another link. I appreciate where I live and the freedoms I have, but that's the reason why they should be exercised.

Use it or lose it, I say.


Just an example of free speech

8 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I haven't got a clue. The spawn of Russ Limbaugh, I suppose. ;-)

I've been called a "commie" because I'm a leftist. I'm sure the person who said that wouldn't appreciate it if I called him a fascist.

4:03 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

Great post. Sad that we need to explain things like this though. There are moments when I hear people say things like this when I wonder if we are heading to a new era of something similar to McCarthyism in the U.S.

5:10 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks Jenni! I've been wondering the same thing myself. It's really sad to think that I can't tell some people in my native country how I feel about different issues without being called names or being told to shut up. It's easier over here because, even if you disagree with someone, there seems to be more open-mindedness in letting people express their opinions. It's changing, but it's not too bad at the moment.

5:16 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

Where *do* they come from? I wish I knew. Fascist day care centres? The Rush Limbaugh School for Brainless Ditto-Heads? Does it really matter?

They're welcome to their opinions and may express them if they so desire, but it would be nice if they'd extend the same courtesy across the aisle. The odd thing is, American Conservatism seems now to have forgotten all about the point of freedom. They like to use the idea of 'responsibility' as justification to curtail freedoms. There's no need to curtail freedoms in the name of responsibility. Laws are already in place for the due punishment of the ABUSE of freedoms. Leave the damned freedoms alone!

If it's not that, then it's the curtailment of freedoms in the name of an imposed morality, which is nothing more than the curtailment of religious freedoms.

Some folk just don't get it.

7:55 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'm amazed at the level of hostility directed towards liberals and Democrats. You would think that Kerry had won the election! I have yet to come across a blog where a Democrat, Kerry supporter, etc has insulted Republicans, Bush supporters, etc directly. Sure, they insult George W. Bush. I do that myself. But I never say, "Oh, you're stupid for supporting Bush. Why don't we lock all Bush supporters up in Guantanamo Bay? Why don't we ship all Bush supporters to Russia? Why don't we withdraw their rights as American citizens?"

I have read blogs where those who voted for Kerry are referred to as "rich snobs", where it was suggested that those states and counties that had a Democrat majority during the election should have anti-terrorist measures and airport security withdrawn, and where people such as myself have been the direct targets of extremely hostile commentary. It's just not called for.

11:31 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I found a new one: Democrats don't want to believe the truth because we think it has been "hidden" from us in some sort of Republican conspiracy, so now we're "spoiled toddlers throwing temper tantrums" (courtesy of Purlie Rowz). That's funny, I have still yet to see a liberal post that calls conservatives names.

11:54 pm  
Blogger Charcoal Moon said...

Uhh... I may have called conservatives a few names on my blog. I usually call them backward, intolerant, ignorant -- things like that. While I realize name calling is stupid, I have relegated myself to trying to communicate to them on their level (not that anyone reads my blog!).

Too often, liberals have been called elitist. It's a fact in the U.S. that, on average, liberals are more highly-educated than conservatives.

I am tired of watching the wimpy liberals who go against beligerent (ooops, name-calling again) and get figuratively beat up. I am coming out swinging and am not afraid to get in their faces. I think we need liberals of all walks of life using various approaches to get our message out. Using too much logic just goes over the heads of many conservatives.

11:56 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

I know, I don't know whether I'm complaining and using my blog as an outlet for frustration or just in need of psychiatric care! ;-)

9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home