24 January 2005

Diary Entry

12.01 pm I went to see the doctor this morning for my neck. He says I have a "jarring whiplash-type" injury, and he gave me some exercises to strengthen the muscles. Of course, Simon heard me say "whiplash" and he said "Claim!" I'm not entirely comfortable with that, but I'll look into it, I guess. Graham and Marie had something similar happen where a piece of drain pipe or guttering fell off the side of the school (the one Malorie and Braden go to) and hit their son, and they received nothing. Despite the fact that I'm an American, I have never sued anyone in my life, unless you count when I sued for divorce!

I'm finding it really hard to wake up in the mornings. I even went to bed earlier than usual last night, but that didn't help. I would have a nap again tonight, but I forgot it's "Number Faire" or whatever they call their numeracy night at Ricky and Jack's school tonight. An hour and a half of maths. Not my favourite subject, but the boys are excited about it, and if it encourages them to practice their maths, I'll do it. Ricky says, "But mum! You can win a calculator!" That's it. Teach the kids maths and then tell them they don't really need to know them because they can use calculators instead!

1.20 pm Things could get interesting soon. Malorie's 16th birthday is next week, and she has decided she wants to have her belly button pierced. I'm fine with that. I have my belly button pierced, and as long as she takes good care of it so that it doesn't get infected, I will take her to have it done. The problem is going to come with her dad. He went ballistic when Braden had his ear pierced, to the point that he forced Braden to remove it before it healed. He doesn't see it as a "Christian" thing to do (despite the fact that he himself has his ear pierced, but he's above the rules). Braden is frightened of upsetting his dad, so he's never had it re-pierced. He's starting to grow out of it a bit, but I think he'll never have it done again. It's his ear, so I don't really care one way or the other.

Malorie is going through a "rebellious" phase, I think, only it's not just against me, it's against her dad as well. She doesn't like how restrictive he is, and she thought long and hard for months over the belly button thing. Sure, he showers her with material possession, and she is a very materialistic person, but she also wants to show her individualism. I try to let her be her own person as long as she follows the house rules. She's grounded right now because she hasn't been following them, but for the most part, I have good kids. So she can have her belly button pierced if she wants it pierced. I honestly couldn't stop her if she wanted to have it done. She can't legally get a tattoo, but she can legally get things pierced. Fortunately she doesn't want a tattoo. Not that I know of anyway. Her dad will just have to learn to live with the idea of her having a pierced belly button because it will probably be healed by the time he next sees her.

4.37 pm I wanted to take the boys to their "Number Quest" thing at school tonight, and they were looking forward to it a lot, but my neck is absolutely killing me! I've been doing the exercises Dr Cook gave me, but so far they haven't taken effect yet. Not that I expected them to work ultra fast. Things like that take time. So, being a mummy who puts the kids first, I asked their dad if he wants to take them. He asked if he could have them overnight. The boys said they want to spend the night. I conceded and off they go in an hour. I hate it when they're away, even though they drive me nuts when they're here.

I wish Jack would stop chasing the dog. He has feet like an elephant (Jack, not the dog) and all I can hear is "thud thud thud" coming from upstairs.

5.32 pm Last night I found out I'm not very white trashy. Tonight I found out I'm going to live to be 78. As long as I have all my mental faculties (assuming I had them to start with), I'd like to live a bit longer, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home