25 March 2005

Diary Entry

12.44 pm Poor Ricky! I took the boys to their dad's this morning/afternoon (right at noon, actually), and he was sitting in the back seat crying. I asked him why, and he said because he was going to miss me. I told him that he can ring me whenever he wants to if he's missing me, or even if he's not missing me. And poor Jack! When I turned around to give Ricky a hug, I accidentally bopped Jack in the jaw. He was okay though.

It's cloudy, but it's a nice day, so I tried to convince Simon that we should go to the country park a couple of miles from here to take the dog for a nice walk around the lakes. I got this, "Right now?" He says he feels like shit. Maybe if he got off the computer and went for a walk he would feel better, but I can't convince him of that.

11.40 pm Let's see, I've studied, had a nap for an hour, and studied some more. I've also taken the dog for a run. Well, obviously that was earlier when it was still daylight. The dog was absolutely knackered when we got back. Then again, so was I, and I didn't do nearly as much running as he did!

Earlier when I was thinking of how lovely the weather is turning and how nice it is to get out and walk around without having to bundle up like an Eskimo, I was thinking of the last full day I was in Brussels. I don't think I blogged much about that afternoon out when I got back from the trip because by that point I was in a lot of pain from the abcess. But today I was thinking about how much fun it was when we were out shopping and the snow was really coming down. I really felt exhilarated. At one point, my boot came untied, and the shoestring was all wet and yucky from the snow, and when I stopped to tie it, Pete actually bent down and tied it for me. I can't remember a man ever doing that for me before. It was really sweet.

I usually hate the cold, but I absolutely loved walking through the snow. We had a really good time. I even pointed out the wide screen television screens in one department store window that was showing a fashion show where the models were all wearing lingerie. I offered to leave Pete and Dan there and come back for them on the way back to the hotel, but they managed to pry themselves away -- eventually. I think they were cold.

We did our souvenir shopping that day. I bought t-shirts for the boys, a scarf for Malorie, and lots of chocolates -- yes, the chocolates I ended up needed all the dental work after eating! Dan was trying to pick out things for his wife and son. We made two trips into a communist propaganda shop so he could try to decide which Che Guevara shirt to get his son. Evidently those are really cool with teens. He also found some lovely scarves and was trying to decide which to get his wife, so I was asked for a bit of advice on that. He finally decided on two of them. I hope she liked them because I thought they were gorgeous!

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at the same cafe where we'd had cappuccinos with Kay and Kerry earlier. We were starving, and they stopped serving, but the owner heated up some tomato soup for us. It was gorgeous!

Anyway, I wanted to get that in before I forgot about it. When I was thinking about walking with the snow falling, I couldn't help but smile. I really hope I go on the trip next year and have as good a time as I did this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home