16 July 2005

No Harry Potter Today

I'm not pleased with Amazon.co.uk. I ordered my copy of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" when they first offered it for pre-ordering. The money went out of my account last Saturday. Yesterday, I received an email from them saying it had been despatched.

No book.

My neighbour, who ordered her copy earlier this week, received her copy. The kids have made sure I know it with a "Lynn's got her Harry Potter book and you don't" every five minutes.

I'm actually not all that disappointed. It's a book; it's not going to spoil over night. It will be the same book if it arrives Monday that it would have been had it arrived today. I'm halfway through "The Bone Collector" anyway.

Now, disappointment to me would be having my car break down on the way to a Formula One Grand Prix. I'm just annoyed at Amazon.

P.S. Okay, I'll admit it. I want to read what happens before someone tells me and ruins it for me, so I went to Tesco and bought a copy. When the one from Amazon shows up, it's going back.

And why did Tesco advertise that you could get it for half-price if you pre-ordered a copy? I walked in this afternoon and got mine for £7.97, which is less than half the £16.99 cover price.

3 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

That sucks. I got mine on time. And then, to top it off, Amazon gave me an additional $1 off the price. I've not read any of it yet except the first paragraph. I'm already in the middle of three books: ARTEMIS FOWL (which is great!), an anthology of Ernest Hemingway's short stories, and JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL. I want to at least finish FOWL before I start POTTER.

4:24 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

Amazon knocked a pound off mine as well, but Tesco was still cheaper AND didn't have a shipping charge! LOL Next time, I'll skip Amazon and just take a leisure driver over to Tesco.

1:34 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

I wish there was someplace here that was cheaper than Amazon, but, then again, there is the convenience of simply jumping on the computer, placing my order, then going back to whatever I was doing in the first place. Even so, a drive to a bookshop to walk about and browse can be a great way to spend part of your afternoon, instead of in front of a computer monitor.

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home