23 January 2005

Radio Moron

We have a rule in this house that says whoever drives gets to pick the radio station. Unfortunately I keep forgetting about this rule until we're actually in the car backing out of the driveway, and my husband switches the radio to one of the smaller local radio stations. I'm starting to think the only reason he does it is to see me pull faces at him.

The DJs on this station are morons. They get on every last nerve I have in my body. For example, they announce that they have the following programmes: the 70s at Seven, the 80s at Eight, and the 90s at Nine. So far so good. But then the DJ says, "So catch the 70s at Seven at 7 o'clock tonight". Yeah? I was going to tun it at 10 to listen to it. What a bummer.

They've even started these contests where they give away £1,000. I thought, cool. If they're giving away £1,000, I'll listen. But after they explained the rules, a little disclaimer ad came on informing listeners that "All contest line calls cost 50p per minute, mobile calls may be higher". Ouch! The hubby tried to convince me that all radio stations charge if you call in to win something, but I was having none of that. The big radio station in Sheffield I listen to doesn't. So there, Simon!

Today's nerve grating came from their "All Request Weekend", which they advertised would be nothing but requests from listeners. The more I listened, the more I realised they were playing nothing but George Michael. Either A) no one was calling in with requests; B) someone was requesting nothing but George Michael; or C) the DJ decided "screw the audience" and played what he wanted to listen to.

It's no wonder I usually have the CD player in my car on.

4 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

See, now that's why I listen to my iPod in the car. Actually, I don't have anyone with whom to bicker about radio stations. It's just me. Nevertheless, it's been months and months since I listened to the radio.

12:53 am  
Blogger lilgangbang said...

Yeah, radio sucks. The DJs the music. It's all terrible. The commercials. I hate it. Nice blog.

12:58 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I don't have an iPod. I know, I must be behind the times. I have a CD player in my Rover, which is what I usually listen to. It's very rare that I have the radio on. When we're in Simon's car though, he insists on the radio. He only has a cassette player. You're asking, "What's a cassette?" I'll have to check the archives for an answer.

12:59 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks for stopping by, LilG! :-)

1:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home