24 September 2005

A1 Racing

I've just finished watching the very first qualifying for the new A1 GP racing series. All I can say is: "COOL!"

Okay, maybe I can say more ...

This series is going to be really interesting. Twenty-five identical (except for the colours) cars relying on driver ability to compete against each other. They're calling it the World Cup of motorsport because, rather than traditional teams, it's countries competing against each other.

I hadn't really decided which country I was going to support. I'm American by birth. I live in Great Britain. After today, I'm leaning towards neither of those choices.

I was surprised to find out that a driver I was talking to at last weekend's karting event is actually Australia's driver, Will Power! I must have seen his name listed as being on Team Australia at some point, but I never made the connection until I saw him on television today. I never got his autograph either, even though I chatted to him for a minute. I never even took his picture! Fortunately Kate took one of Will with Karen. He's even wearing the same race overalls in the picture that he had on today.



So at the moment, it's not Team USA or Team GB I'm cheering, it's Team Australia!

*Note: After a great start yesterday in practice, Scott Speed for the US is starting somewhere like 17th or 18th on the grid tomorrow. So much for being a highly rated driver!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering I took that pic of Karen with Will I'm guessing that you were on the karting track while I was having a nice chat with Will last weekend - about the new A1GP series, how he'd gone when he tested the car and whether he was racing at Brands Hatch!

Sorry - I thought you knew...

But yes, Mr William Power is the reason why I nearly got disowned by my fiance on Sunday. An English rose waving a big Australian flag when he came past us on Paddock Hill didn't go down too well.

Of course, when Christian Jones replaces Will in the car, then my full support with go to Robbie Kerr & Alex Lloyd and Team GBR ;-) A big 'thumbs up' to Will and Robbie for providing some great racing this weekend.

11:03 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Ahh, well, maybe next year he'll be there again! :-) And I did get to speak to him for a couple of minutes, so I have that to brag about now! LOL

9:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming, of course, he's still based in the UK next year ;-)

I'd not noticed he was wearing the same overalls at Brands Hatch as at the karting. But of course you're right!

Does that mean that Team Aus simply haven't got driver overalls made? Does it mean that they weren't expecting him to be racing (he didn't seem to know whether he would be when we were talking at the karting!)? Or does it mean we won't be seeing him out there for Team Aus again?

Whatever - it at least explains why he had that massive Team Aus shirt on over his overalls on the podium...

9:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home