05 September 2005

Spammers Beware!

For the longest time, my blog seemed to be safe from unwelcome posts. Occasionally someone hasn't agreed with me, but I can handle a difference of opinion.

Spammers are another matter. Last night I had some "Anonymous" idiot post four comments on my blog, and I don't care how nicely you comment on how great my blog is, if you follow it up with a sales pitch, it gets deleted. I've also had to resort to having comments word protected so anyone wanting to comment will have to type in the random letters Blogger puts on the comments page.

And if you spammers keep posting, I'll keep deleting, so if I were you, I'd wouldn't waste my time.

7 Comments:

Blogger letti said...

ah, i see you have the comment verification on...good idea.

4:48 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Fingers crossed no one tries posting comments offering me financial security if I just click the link to their blog! :-)

10:29 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

I share your frustration.

Maybe you could offer us financial security as a reward for leaving witty and interesting comments, Melinda ;)

3:24 am  
Blogger g d townshende said...

Wonderful and informative blog. I'm bookmarking it. I've got a web site for "How to..." :P :P :P

I've been having the same thing happen to my blogs, Melinda. I haven't yet resorted to having the word verification turned on, but I might. Just today I put up a post at my writing blog in which I quote a poem by Shakespeare. It contained the word "kiss" in it, and, wouldn't you know it, as soon as I posted, BAM! here came a spammer comment having something to do with kissing and making out. Tells me that these bastards are using bots that look for keywords in the most recently posted blog entries. They don't do a thing except program the bots, then sit back and wait for people to click on those links.

10:33 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Jenni, if I offered financial security, I'd have to charge for it! LOL I'm only a poor student, you know!

Gary, I'm still getting bloody spammers so it was probably a waste of time to my friends rather than the idiots posting their crap on my blog. But I'm not going to ignore their posts. I'll keep deleting them -- that'll make sure it's just a waste of their time!

11:58 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

You mean they're getting past your word verification? Damn.

3:08 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

Yeah, I thought switching it on would help, but it's not stopping them 100%. Still, the number of spam posts showing up on here has been reduced, so for now I'll leave it switched on.

10:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home