05 February 2006

It's the Weekend

I can't seem to see my blog, but evidently it's still there somewhere because I can post to it. How strange. Seems cyberspace is against me tonight.

Today's much better than yesterday. Simon's still spent most of his time on the computer, but when I came home from Tae Kwon Do, he came into the living room and watched a movie with Jack and me. (Ricky said he didn't want to watch it, but it turns out he watched it after in when Braden switched it on in their room.) He even cooked his own dinner tonight. And, apart from one or two, he's been making his own cups of tea! Amazing. Maybe he was worried that, since I'd just come from my lesson, I might attempt a few kicks to the head if he didn't straighten up. Then again, if I did attempt that, he'd most likely just laugh at me.

It's less than a week now until the tournament, and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. I'm also starting to wonder what possessed me to enter. Well, I'll be happy if I can make it through without making a fool of myself. I've never won a trophy in my life, so it won't kill me to walk away without one. My instructor wasn't there today, but the black belt who took over the lesson had the two of us go through our patterns for the competition, and he said he couldn't find anything to fault me with at all. That was a nice thing for him to say. I can tell what I'm doing wrong though. Now I just have to try to change it.

I haven't checked my numbers, but I'm willing to bet that I didn't win the lottery again tonight. Shame, because if I win, I'm going to go to all the European F1 races in a single season, and I told Kate I'd take her with me! I suppose I'll have to take Simon too.

One thing I did tell him tonight is that, when I'm working, once all our debts are paid off (which aren't a lot added all together, but when you have practically no income it seems like a lot), I'm going to start saving up to go to the Australian GP in 2008. I think aiming to go in 2007 will be a bit too ambitious, and I'd like to try to go see my family in Texas either at the end of this year or early next year. I haven't been since the end of July 2000.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you will do fine at the tournament!! I will be sitting here with my banner cheering for you! ;-)
And forget Simon just take me on that trip!! :-P

12:18 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

LMAO So far my luck at the lottery is zero! I won £10 once, but that's it.

I fell asleep last night going over and over and over what I have to do in the tournament. I've found myself doing that every night without intending to! So far I haven't been dreaming Tae Kwon Do though. ;-)

12:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We dont even have that Euro lottery here :-( Heard alot about though! Alot of Dutchies went to Belgium to pick up a ticket for it.

Do you have to fight somebody else with your Tae Kwando or do you have to do alot of moves in a particular order??

1:21 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

I bought two tickets to the Euro lottery, but no one from the UK won out of the three winning tickets. :-(

There are two different things you can do in the tournament, one of which is "sparring", the fighting against someone else. You have to have special equipment to do that, and I don't have it yet. The other is "patterns" where you do a set pattern of moves and they judge how well you do it compared to others doing the same pattern. That's what I'm doing, one called the chon-ji (I hope I spelled that right!), which means "heaven and earth" in Korean. Unless someone has told me wrong! :-)

2:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard two people in France and one in Portugal (I think) won the lottery!

http://www.itf-information.com/patterns02.htm
You spelled it right!! :-)
I am convinced you'll be great!!
Just go for it!

2:28 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Cool, you looked it up! LOL I know it's on my instructor's website, but I've spent so much time doing the chon-ji that I haven't thought of looking it up!

I will be sure to let you know as soon as the competition is over. I'll send Kate a text and ask her to send you an email. :-)

4:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant wait!!
If you want you can text me too! Kate has got the number! ;-)

4:57 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

In that case, I will ask Kate for your number! :-)

5:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder my ears are burning!

Where's that email then?!

You'll be fine next weekend - you've been putting in loads of work for it, and your instructor wouldn't be encouraging you so much if he didn't think you were up for it.

Booked train tickets?

9:19 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Before I could send you one, Diana sent me an email saying "Duh!" and including her number. LOL

I think my big thing next Saturday will be nerves. I got a bit sweaty doing the pattern in front of six people in my class yesterday, so I need to convince myself that, at the tournament, no one is actually looking at me! ;-)

9:21 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Oh yeah, and Simon wants to drive, so no train tickets. Typical man.

9:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home