27 November 2004

Teenagers

My mother used to tell me "Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids." I didn't find it very amusing at the time, but now I know exactly what she meant. I have been blessed (or cursed, depending on my mood) with three teenagers. At the moment, all three of them are sitting in my living room making fun of each other, laughing hysterically and driving me nuts.

Malorie is the oldest at 15. I should add that she's 15 going on 30 but acts like she's 5. I try not to refer to her as the stereotypical blonde, but some times I just can't help it. We even tried colouring her hair because she thought that maybe if her hair were darker, it would give her confidence not to act like a blonde. Instead of brown her hair turned a lovely shade of auburn, and she refused to speak to me for 24 hours. I thought it looked nice. It didn't work anyway, and now she wants to go back to being a blonde. She's boy crazy as well, and I have yet to meet a boy she doesn't fancy.

Braden is the next down the list at 14. It's a good thing he's such a mild-mannered and loving son because he's grown to the point where he towers over me. A few weeks ago he tried to hug me and nearly knocked me down the stairs. He's intelligent and comical. So comical in fact that he either has me laughing hysterically or shouting in exasperation. When he is pushing me to the point of screaming, I just call him "Stud Muffin", a nickname my mother gave him when I told her how many girls walk past our house hoping that Braden will come out and talk to them.

The youngest of the teens is Daniel, who is 13. He's not actually mine by birth, but he's mine by marriage, meaning I had to marry his dad to get him. Daniel is hard to work out sometimes. When he and Malorie are in the house on their own, they get along like bosom buddies. A few weeks ago they even sat and worked on French homework together, even though both of them are hopeless at the subject. They managed to trick me into translating Daniel's homework. But once Braden enters the mix, it's the boys against the girl and chaos breaks out. The funny thing is that Braden doesn't get involved as much as Malorie and Daniel, who suddenly act as if they'll never speak a civil word to each other again.

So it's a typical Saturday night tonight with the three of them trying to outwit each other, out insult each other and generally drive me to the brink of insanity. And this is a quiet weekend. Next weekend not only will it be the three teens here, but the two little ones will be back from their dad's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home