12 March 2005

10 Things We Didn't Know Last Week

I found this on the BBC News website and thought it was a really interesting idea! I'll just list what they have this time, but if I can come up with some good ones, I might have my own list next week!

Snippets harvested from the week's news, chopped, sliced and diced for your weekend convenience.

1. Nelson lost half his right eyebrow in battle, as well as sight in his right eye.

2. A six-pack, in paramilitary punishment terms, allegedly involves being shot in the ankles, knees and elbows.

3. John Travolta says he hasn't drunk alcohol since getting drunk for the first time. "I drink water even with my lunch and dinner. Occasionally I drink some tea, but mostly I drink just water," he told a Serbian magazine.

4. Bill Wyman loves metal detecting and has found more than 300 coins, including a gold half-noble from 1361.

5. In America it's possible to subpoena a dog.

6. The 88-storey Shanghai Grand Hyatt Hotel has the world's longest laundry chute (according to the Economist newspaper).

7. On an average Saturday, 35,000 people will shop in Harrods (according to BBC Two's The Apprentice).

8. The mother of Gavin Arvizo, the boy Michael Jackson is accused of molesting, is now called Janet Jackson, after marrying Major Jay Jackson of the US Army.

9. The 71 million packets of biscuits sold annually by United Biscuits, owner of McVitie's, generate 127.8 tonnes of crumbs.

10. By country of birth, there were approximately 100,000 more Germans than Bangladeshis living in England and Wales, according to the 2001 census.

Source: BBCNews.com

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder, if the dog didn't show up to court, what they would do about the contempt of court issue? ;)

(BTW I came here from fictionexpress)

9:47 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Hi Claire!

You know, I wondered that myself. I also wondered who would take the notes from the dog's testimony.

That's really cool, I'll have to remember to tell Pete that someone actually came to my blog from his forum since he's usually after me to get more people to go to his forum after reading my blog! LOL

9:51 pm  
Blogger Pamela said...

Fun tidbits, Mel.
Funny though, I pictured Travolta as a drinker. Not a drunk, but party drinker of sorts. Probably because he reminds me of my Uncle. Interesing how you get certain visuals in your head about people huh?
*shrugs*

3:59 pm  
Blogger anna said...

I haev alwyas pictured Travolta as a drinker....since pulp fiction I have always seen him with a whiskey glass....oh well, I'll add it to my huge bank of totally useless information ;)

9:36 am  
Blogger Jenni said...

I can comment again! I have been trying for the past few days but kept getting an error message everywhere but my own blog.

This was great. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with on your own.

5:44 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

I've been trying to compile a list to post this weekend. So far it's a list of one item, but there's still time! LOL

7:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home