05 May 2005

Voter Apathy

It's the General Election here in the UK today. I've listened to all three of the main parties run on and on and on at the mouths for a couple of months now. Thank heavens I'm not back in the US, where campaigns of this nature usually last at least a year, if not longer.

There's just one problem. I can't vote. I'm an American citizen and not entitled to vote, unless and until I take British citizenship.

I always thought "Europeans" had a much higher voter turnout than the US, but most of the people asked on news reports say they aren't voting. They all have an opinion, and don't hesitate to slag one of the parties (or all of the parties) off, but they refuse to go vote. Why? As one lady who was just on SkyNews said, "They're all as bad as each other". People don't vote because they would rather not vote than give the candidates any serious thought.

Once the election is over, these same people are going to start complaining about how terrible things are, how it's the politicians' fault and how things should be run differently in this country.

What a load of bollocks.

4 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

I remember, years ago, a co-worker who said he didn't vote and never would because of the one election (at that time) when the man elected to office did not win the popular vote. This was his way, supposedly, if protesting against the current system. However, I seem to recall that he also would go off on whomever was in office.

If you're not going to vote, you have no right to complain. It's sort of like the whinging Poms I've heard of in Australia, Brits who move there, don't become citizens, and so never vote, but damn if they won't bitch and moan about Australia and how things are run Down Under. There are a few of their sort in New Zealand, too.

11:38 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

I just find it amazing that people claim that they're making their voices heard by staying away from the polls. To me that says they're too lazy to check things out and make an educated decision. Even my hubby didn't go vote, and the polling station is only a few blocks away! If I could vote, I definitely would, but at the moment, I'm an alien.

6:26 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

At least you're not illegal. If you were, then you could make that song by Genesis your theme song.

It ain't no fun
Bein' an illegal alien


In your case, however, it's just as not fun being a legal one.

3:24 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

No, I'm definitely not an illegal alien, otherwise I couldn't have got into uni. :-(

9:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home