21 June 2005

Two Scientific Studies Regarding Sex?

It's amazing the things you can learn from news stories from "legitimate" sources.

This afternoon I received an email from my husband with the subject heading "I told you it was good for you". In the email there was a link, so I clicked on it, assuming it was taking me to some quirky website with cartoon characters and goofy singing. On the contrary, it took me to CNN.com, and it was an article titled, "Study: Fellatio may significantly decrease the risk of breast cancer in women". My second assumption was that the person reporting this study would be a male doctor. Unless his mother risked her son being ridiculed all his life by giving him the name Helena, that was wrong, too.

Simon latched onto one particular sentence in the CNN report:

The University researchers stressed that, though breast cancer is relatively uncommon, any steps taken to reduce the risk would be a wise decision.


I decided to investigate. I clicked on one of the other links on the CNN website, and guess what? This is a spoof. Thank heavens, because I've had Simon following me around all day saying, "Honey, I don't want you to get breast cancer ..."

The second study is one I found myself on the SkyNews.com website. It says that women's brains experience a shut down effect during orgasms so that fear and stress don't interfere. Men's brains don't experience this effect because their orgasms are so much shorter.

That I can definitely believe.

I also did a bit of research to be sure that this is not just a second spoof that has somehow found it's way onto the Sky News website. There really is a University of Groningen and there really is a Dr. Gert Holstege, and the same news story is on the BBC website! The BBC, however, gives a bit more info than Sky News. The scan they used in the study can also be used to show whether a woman is faking an orgasm.

I don't know about you, but I don't think trying to have sex during a scan is my idea of romantic.

Something else they found in the study is that cold feet can prevent an orgasm. After they gave the couples in their study socks, 80% achieved orgasm, compared to 50% with bare feet.

No, that's not very romantic either. "Sorry darling, I love you but can you take the socks off in bed?"

3 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

I saw and read that fellatio thing months ago! It was so obviously a spoof it had everyone at work in stitches! :D

3:30 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

It was the quality of the "CNN site" that made me do a double take. But, rather than believe it, I checked it out for myself because I couldn't believe it was true! LMAO

As to my risks for breast cancer, were the study true, I'll plead the fifth.

9:17 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

He wasn't impressed to find out the news article was a fake. :-)

8:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home