11 August 2005

What a Day

It's just been one of those weird days ...

To start with, it's Simon's birthday. My original plan was to have his cake and "card" ready for when he came downstairs, and for Ricky and Jack to help me fix him a nice breakfast in bed. Unfortunately, two things happened that kind of messed that up.

First of all, Tuesday night I came down with the worst case of chills and shivering I've ever had in my life. Simon and Jack said I felt really hot, but I didn't feel like getting up to find the thermometer. Eventually I became nauseated and ended up spending the rest of the night kneeling in front of the porcelain throne. It's even less fun when you haven't been drinking. I still felt horrible yesterday so never got out to get the cake and breakfast menu. Instead I spent all day on the couch watching "Time Team" and other history documentaries while I read Peter Ackroyd's "London: The Biography".

Second, the dog kept Simon awake all night anyway. There must be a bitch in heat somewhere nearby because he said that Mitch kept crying all night. I never heard him, which is unusual. Most of the time I'm such a light sleeper that the dog wakes me up while Simon snores through it. He didn't want anyone disturbing him this morning, and he finally got out of bed at 1.30 this afternoon. So much for breakfast in bed.

My father-in-law surprised me by dropping by at 9.00 with Simon's present. I was still in my nightgown, but at least I was up and awake while everyone else was still asleep!

I still got the boys up early so I could spend a few hours with them before they left to spend the rest of the summer with their dad. I'll see them before they go back to school, but tomorrow they're off on holiday to Tenerife for a week. Jack woke up singing "Happy Birthday", and Ricky got dressed and ran downstairs so he could make Simon a card.

Lynn dropped round to bring Simon a card and present, and while she was here, the dog snuck out -- probably to find that bitch in heat! Normally when he sneaks out, he just goes around the corner to have a quick run on the fields behind our house. We shouted and shouted but no Mitch. I drove around the estate but no Mitch. Jack was upset because he was afraid he'd never see the dog again, especially since they're off to Tenerife.

About 45 minutes later, the dog dragged himself back in. He was worn out, panting and drooling, so I'm guessing he found the bitch. I hope no one knocks on the door and hands us a basket of puppies!

The boys left just after noon, and I was in tears, though I tried to hold them back while Lynn was here. I didn't do too badly, but it still wasn't an easy afternoon. For some reason I put a country music CD on, and there's nothing more depressing than country music when you're already down in the dumps (no offense to George Strait!) I spent most of the afternoon finishing Simon's "card", which wasn't really a card but a mini scrapbook with lots of photos and goofy things like how he knows I can be an extremely puddled lady but he married me anyway. I had planned to finish it Tuesday night and yesterday. The stomach virus changed my plans.

For his birthday, we decided to go out to TGI Fridays. I haven't had much of an appetite, but after reading the menu, I was starving! I still restrained myself from ordering the big cheeseburger I was drooling over. I had a salad with grilled chicken in barbecue sauce. I was so good that I even had plenty of room left on my diet for a slice of the chocolate birthday cake I bought on the way home from the restaurant!

Now I'm winding the day down with a cup of hot chocolate (with coconut). Tomorrow is going to be an even stranger day because my little monsters are gone. Apart from bill paying, dog walking and house cleaning, there's not much to look forward to!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Sounds like one hell of a week you are having. Hope your weekend is better!

2:41 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks Jenni! Looks like it's going to be a quiet one, but I guess it will give me a chance to do some decorating around the house, and perhaps to fumigate the boys' room while they're all away on holiday! ;-)

6:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home