19 September 2005

Am I a Criminal?

I woke up this morning with my back in absolute agony! That first lap shunt I had where someone rammed into the back of my kart on Saturday has caught up with me, and it looks like I have a "whiplash-type injury" similar to the one I had in January when I fell down the stairs at uni.

Still, that's part of racing. I don't know or care who it was that hit me. I still can't wait to do it again next year. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, I took myself off to Tesco to get some ibuprofen and paracetamol so I can just get on with things.

But little did I know I was about to do something I shouldn't have ...

Because Simon takes ibuprofen for his back and headaches, I picked up two boxes of 16 200 mg tablets. And because Malorie takes paracetamol for her headaches, cramps, etc., I picked up one box of those.

The lady at the check-out shouted at me. Evidently I was breaking a law in trying to purchase three boxes of pain relief. There was no sign on the shelf, but she seemed to think I was thwarting Tesco's attempts to stamp out those of us in search of relief from our various aches and pains. I really did feel like a drug addict the way she looked at me, as if she was searching for signs of my addiction, while my seven year old stood there in stunned silence.

I stopped at the comments counter and left a message for the store manager saying that I don't appreciate being made to feel as if I'm a criminal because I wasn't aware they had limits on pain relief purchases.

I know how to get around the limit of 32 tablets next time, however. My doctor gives me 100 at a time on prescription. And they're 400 mg. I'll take up NHS time and money and go through him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home