19 January 2006

The Doctor Calls

It's very rare that anyone rings me at home. Most people who want to get in touch with me ring my mobile, so when the landline rang and it was for me, I assumed it was for either Malorie or Simon. When Simon shouted me (I was upstairs pulling Jack's hair out -- I'll explain why shortly) and said it was Dr Cook, I was surprised.

I had a blood test on Tuesday, and standard procedure is that you wait a week and ring the surgery for the results. It wasn't comforting that it has been two days and the doctor was ringing me! It was even less comforting that I used to work for that surgery, and the standard line that we receptionists/secretaries were told to give concerned patients was, "If there were anything to worry about, the doctor would have called you personally".

The doctor called me personally. He had only ordered the blood tests as sort of a precaution while we're waiting for my ultrasound appointment at the hospital to come through. He wasn't expecting to have my liver function test to come back abnormal. It probably sounds more worrying than it is. It's not very abnormal, just not in the normal range for an LFT. He did say that that happens sometimes due to gall stones and can be an indicator confirming that particular diagnosis. Standard procedure would be for me to have an ultrasound, which I'm already due to have anyway. And I have to have the test repeated in a month. Hopefully I can get an appointment with the same nurse because she was really good. Never felt any pain when she drew the blood, and she didn't leave a bruise.

So, fingers crossed that it's just from the gall stones. I'm not going to worry until I know it's caused by something else. Well, I won't worry too much anyway!

Oh yeah, and why was I pulling Jack's hair out? Ricky got a microscope for Christmas, and we were doing an experiment comparing all of our hair. Jack's the only blond (Malorie has coloured her hair), so I was trying to convince him to let me pull just one out! See, there's a logical explanation for everything!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow reading this gives me a flashback to 8 years ago.... Exactly the same story for me!!
They thought it was my gall too but found out it was my liver.
I really hope this wont be the case for you!
I will be here with my fingers crossed.

8:47 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks Diana! I did think of you after I spoke to the doctor. I'm sure everything will be alright. :-)

8:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im sure you will be ok babe i will b thinking of u try not to worry i know its easier said than done remember i should know i have my 4th test on thursday lol xxxx

2:31 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'm fine today, not as worried as I was yesterday. :-) I think my problem when I heard the news is that I'm sure my mum told me that my grandfather (on my dad's side) died of liver cancer. I just had to remind myself that the doctor told me the LFT can come back like that when you've got gall stones, so I'm much more chilled today!

It just bothered me that, when I told Simon that my grandfather died of liver cancer, he just looked up from the computer and stared at me, then went back to the computer. If it had been the other way around and he was the one the doctor had called, I would have given him a big hug and tried to comfort him! :-(

4:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, that's just the way some guys would act, epecially if they're not good at showing emotion.

The docs are on the case, they'll get to the bottom of it and have you sorted out in no time :-)

6:12 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks, Kate! :-) I'm very chilled about it now. The main reason it threw me for a loop last night is the thing about me working for that surgery and the standard line I used to have to give out about if it's serious, the doctor will call personally! LOL Then again, this particular doctor and I have always been friends, which is something I didn't consider last night. We used to work out at the same gym, and he was always the fun one at the annual Christmas party! LMAO If I'd thought of that, I wouldn't have been as bothered either.

But that's me, venting on my blog instead of self-imploding at home! ;-)

6:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont forget if simon carries on we will definatly be digging that hole soon for him and allan lol xxx

9:50 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

This is true ... ;-)

9:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home