20 January 2006

A Ladybird Story

This morning I went to the dentist for my six month check-up. I was about three months overdue, making it more of a nine month check-up, but that's beside the point.

In the waiting room, I picked up a magazine. It had the dubious honour of having Britney Spears on the cover, but it was the magazine on top, and I preferred to flick through the pages rather than stare off into space.

There was a little boy, probably only two or three years old, playing next to me, and he walked straight up and said, "I've got a ladybird, but he has a leg missing. My mum pulled it off". His mum blushed bright red and said, "I did no such thing", but the boy insisted that she had.

I told him I didn't believe his mum had pulled the ladybird's leg off. Instead, I told him, "Perhaps a bird thought he would eat the ladybird and grabbed him by the leg, but the ladybird got away from him. He's a brave ladybird."

The little boy was fascinated and kept nodding at me with wide eyes, so I added, "That ladybird is a hero".

Unfortunately, a few seconds later the ladybird took flight and tried to hide under the couch I was sitting on, sending the toddler into tears. With the benefit of long fingernails, I scooped him out from under the furniture and gave him back to the distraught boy. He was relieved.

I wonder where that ladybird is now.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww cute story! And... uhmm... are our lifes the same??? Guess where I was (only on the other side of the sea) ..... yep the dentist!! ;-)

3:25 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

You gotta love the dentist ... I drag my feet going because I don't want him to tell me off for not brushing properly, and he never does. I just have one small filling (as if anyone will notice one more in my mouth!), and he's going to replace a very old one that's pretty much worn out.

How did you get on?

4:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have bad genes considering theeth ;) Have lots of fillings and root canals.... bad thing of root canals is your teeth dry out and break off. Good thing is that you dont feel a thing about it anymore! :oP

I had one small filling and two reconstructions but didnt need anesthetics (spelling!! )

6:28 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

You know, I'm the same! My parents both have fillings, crowns and root canals all over the place, and all of us take care of our teeth! Ricky and Jack take after me -- they've already had to have fillings and Jack's had at least two teeth pulled. At least they were baby teeth. Malorie and Braden, on the other hand, are in their teens and have never had one single filling! Their dad had good teeth genes though. ;-)

One thing that really damaged my teeth was having two sets of kids so close together. Malorie and Braden were born 15 months apart, and Ricky and Jack 11 months. My doctor in the US said that the pregancies were sapping the calcium from my teeth, and silly me, I didn't do a very good job of taking my vitamin and mineral supplements! :-(

6:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can asure you thats not always needed. Martin hates fruit and anything with calcium and he didnt go to the dentist for 7 years because he was to scared. When he finally did all he needed was to have one tooth filled!! Geeeeeezzzz

6:36 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

That's the same as Simon! LOL His teeth look terrible because he smokes and drinks a lot of tea, so they're badly stained, but the last time he went to the dentist, he didn't need any fillings! And that's even though it was probably the only time he's ever been to the dentist since he was a kid! Some people have all the luck!

6:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha replace the tea for coffee and then you have Martin!! Even our husbands are alike!! It is getting creepy!! ;o)

7:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home