05 February 2006

Super Bowl Sunday

Tonight is the Super Bowl. I haven't followed American football very much this year despite my intentions to when the season started back in August. I only found out from my friend Swifty who was playing in the Super Bowl last weekend when we were in London, and I pretended that I already knew. Sad, I know.

I've found myself watching cricket more than American football, to be honest. I woke up early this morning, and I thought, "I'll watch cricket". It's a shame my timing was so crap because I turned on the telly in time to see the last two minutes of the Australia v South Africa match.

I still don't understand how they score cricket, though I'm sure my cricket fan friends don't understand how they score American football (apart from Swifty). If I can learn football scoring, I'm sure that, eventually, I'll figure out cricket.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2nd Down and 10....

:-p

I can't remember how they score, but I'd probably remember the stuff I did know fairly soon. It's in the Sky planner.

Cricket - well in terms of scoring: You hit the ball and run between the wickets - the number of times you run from one end to the other is the number of runs you get. EXCEPT if you hit the ball over the boundary rope at the edge of the pitch. If the ball bounces on the pitch then goes over the boundary you get four runs. If it doesn't bounce first and goes straight over the boundary then it's effectively a home run - for which they score 6.

Easy!

And then of course there's all the extras - no balls, wides, byes, leg byes.

If the ball hits an item of fielders clothing not attached to a fielder and is obstructed by it (for example if somene has taken their helmet off and left it on the field), then 5 runs are awarded.

Still following?!

And just to give you the classic overview of test cricket:

Cricket is very simple. The first two batsmen come out and they are in. They stay in until they are out, then another batsmen comes out and he is in. Once 10 batsmen are out they all go in, change, and then both teams come out and the other side are in. They are in until they are all out, and once both team have been in and out twice the one with the most runs is the winner, unless time is out in which case if one team is winning then the game is a draw.

9:31 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

And people say trying to follow American football is hard! LMAO

Believe it or not, I actually followed most of that. The rule about obstructing the ball with items of clothing made me chuckle. I'll bet no one I know in America would believe me if I told them that one! ;-)

9:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home