16 February 2005

Getting Ready to Travel

I realised I don't really know much about Brussels despite knowing for several months that I would be travelling there this month. I guess I assumed that I would be wandering around, following the rest of the students and snapping photos of whatever struck my fancy. It occurred to me that I would probably miss most of the interesting things if I did that, so I've been looking at travel guides online.

I'm glad I did! It's nice knowing some of the history behind the gorgeous buildings I'm hoping to see, especially with me being a history fanatic. I also might not have known about one of the most famous monuments in Brussels: The Manneken Pis.

Yes, you might have guessed that this would translate into something to do with urination (unless you're multi-lingual, which I am not), and you would be correct. It is the statue of a little boy having a piss into a fountain. All the the best possible taste, of course! They even dress him up for special occasions.





But that's not even the best part! According to the Telegraph online travel section, for approximately £1.70, you can buy a gingerbread man in the shape of the Manneken Pis in the rue au Beurre! I need to put Dandoy patisserie on my list of places to stop. I'd love to bring those back for the kids. They'd get a real laugh out of them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Well, I guess I won't be sending you one then! :-P

10:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home