26 February 2005

A Girl in the 1970s

Someone sent me this today, and being a 30-Something Girl myself, I thought this was a trip down memory lane worth sharing! With my own commentary, of course!

IF YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S...

*You wore a rainbow shirt that was half-sleeves, and the rainbow went upsleeve, across your chest, and down the other.

I had one of those!

*You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.

My parents wouldn't buy me one, but I really wanted one!

*You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked.

Thank goodness the hypodermic needles were left at the factory.

*You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket withflowers on it.

It was a red, white and blue bike and it had a white basket.

*You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels.

For years I thought all skates had metal wheels!

*You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!)

I still think Gopher is cute.

*You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island.

Actually I had fantasies about Fantasy Island. I still do.

*You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days.

No, I was deprived I guess. Besides, we didn't have many snowy days in Texas.

*You had either a "bowl cut" or! "pixie," not to mention the"DorothyHamil" because your Mom was sick of braiding your hair.

I had the Dorothy Hamil one!

*People sometimes thought you were a boy.

Short haircut, flat chest. Easy mistake to make.

*Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession.

*You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.

*You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon.

*You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purplesatiny shredded outfits.

*You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with thetrapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once.

I still have a scar on my head from it.

*You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color.

*You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals.

*You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the highneck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson!

I wanted to live in a little house on the prairie instead of a medium sized house in the suburbs!

*You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink.

My first kiss was at the roller rink!

*Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket.

Not to mention the Farrah Fawcett hair toss!

*You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie.

*You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic.

*You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes ofHazzardwas your boyfriend.

*Every now and then "It's a Hard Knock Life" from the movie,"Annie" will pop into your brain and you can't stop singing it the whole day.

*YOU had Star Wars action figures, too!

Princess Leia and R2D2.

*It was ! a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz"would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!

*You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry, Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or Rick Springfield?"

I actually went to see Shaun Cassidy in concert.

*You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, andFame sound track record album.

*You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn andPopsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom.

Camp Fire Day Camp!

*You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts!

*You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding yourportabletape player up to the speaker.

I would sit by the radio for hours just to get the one song I was crazy about at the moment.

*You couldn't wait to get the free animal poster that came when you ordered books from the Weekly Reader book club. Double score if it was a teddy bear dressed in clothing.

*You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues fromJudyBlume books

*You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics

Wasn't it?

*You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces withheartor rainbow designs.

*You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer.

*You had a Big Wheel with a brake on the side, and a Sit-n-Spin.

Yep, spin til you puke!

*You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat.

*You spent all your allowance on smurfs and stickers for your sticker album!

I never really liked the Smufs all that much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

"Lets do the time warp agaaaainnn..."Wow!!! That was fun, if a bit scary. Most of the things listed also worked for the early '80's. *g*
I forgot about wanting the Snoopy snocone maker, easy-bake oven, winged hair, big wheel, Mr. Potato head...Sad, sooo sad. But hey, I got part of the way there - I never got a Big Wheel, but I did get a Powder Puff...NOT an impressive thing for a tough l'il scrappy girl! :o)
Glad to see you're back safe and sound, Melinda-baby!
Off to see where your travels led you...

6:06 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

What?! Roller skates no longer have metal wheels?! You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding!

8:09 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

Ooooh, first kiss at the roller rink. That's way better than mine, which was behind a big tree on our school grounds. I got it over with as fast as possible and then ran all the way home. Real romantic.

3:36 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed this!

Jenni -- yep, his name was David Calvert, he was two years older than me, and he lived across the alley from me. He was also in the high school rifle corp with the band, which ended up being a running joke with people since he was the first of several rifle corp members I ended up dating! LMAO

Oh, and I remember thinking, "If this is kissing, I don't see what the big deal is". I have since changed my mind. ;-)

4:02 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

I remember thinking "gross." I've since changed my mind. ;-)

12:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home