21 February 2005

Diary Entry

What a trip this is turning out to be! It will definitely go down as one of my most memorable experiences, and we only just got to the hotel an hour ago.

Something positive has already come out of the trip. I've made a new friend, Vicky. I've also told the lecturer who made me cry last year that ne did make me cry. It's obvious that I haven't held it against him though. We've been having a real laugh.

Now I'm too tired to write more. Maybe after I've napped for an hour. I've only slept half an hour since leaving home at 10.30 last night.

All these people on the trip and I can't find any of them. I've had a nap but didn't want to sleep too long and not be able to sleep later, but I'm wide awake.

We didn't cross from Dover to Calais by ferry this morning. Because of the damage to the dock on the French side, we crossed by Channel Tunnel. I always thought that would be a bit freaky, going under the English Channel, but because the coach was loaded onto the train and we never left the coach, it was just kind of a surreal experience. Thirty-five minutes and we were in France!

Once we got to Calais, we couldn't get off the train for ages because there was a bad snow storm in Calais, and no one had cleared the steep ramps. I have never seen that much snow before.

I know I've skiped the ride from Sheffield to Dover, but that was kind of a surreal experience, too. Simon dropped me off outside the building where we were supposed to meet (he didn't walk me in or help me with my suitcases, the swine!), and because I didn't know anyone else going, one of my lecturers sort of "adopted" me. He introduced me to Vicky, who is another student, and his friend I have since nicknamed Peter Pervert (nothing to do with my friend Pete in Australia). I'm still not quite sure who this Peter is, but he seems to be a regular because everyone knows him. Little did I know that Dan the Desperate one and Peter Pervert were just a couple of sex-obsessed adolescents in the bodies of mature men! Vicky and I were safe enough though, and I wasn't worried about anything out of line happening, but everything we said was twisted around into something full of innuendo. I'm not complaining, and I tried to give as good as I got, but it was obvious these two are pros at it. Vicky and I decided that they must not be getting any because they talk about sex constantly, like a couple of naughty schoolboys. But I'm sure that since I ended up laughing my head off at what they were saying, and because I tried to give as good as I got, I've got a reputation already of being as bad as they are.

One thing in particular was absolutely hilarious. We'd had champagne and red wine (how I got away without a hangover I don't know!) and Dan suggested playing a clapping game. It seemed harmless enough until he told us that each time we blew the rhythm, we had to pay a forfeit by removing an article of clothing. Of course Vicky and I were losing straight away, but we only took jewellery off. Dan started losing on purpose, so he took his shirt off. We had a real laugh, and the game was over. It sounds stupid now but it was hilarious at the time when we were half drunk.

After the trip across the Channel (or should that be under the Channel) we stopped in Bruges for a couple of hours. Vicky and I had a coffee in a nice little cafe -- my cappuccino even came with whipped cream on it. I got some good photos of the things we came across, but I never looked Bruges up to see what was worth checking out. I found out later that evidently there's a crooked spire there, which I would have liked to have seen to compare it with the one in Chesterfield. We did a little shopping and ate pomme frites with mayonnaise. Ordinarily I can't stand mayo, but Vicky said this was something I had to try that only tasted right on the Continent. She was right! The mayo was like none I'd ever seen before, let alone tasted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home