23 February 2005

Diary Entry

I was right. Last night was definitely interesting. We ended up in a little side street off La Grand'Place, and there were all these people standing outside their restaurants trying to convince people to come in. I had never seen anything like it, but I've never really been to Europe before. Vicky, Dan the Desperate One and Peter Pervert had seen it before. We were promised free wine, aperitifs, and, at one point, lap dancers if we went into their restaurants. When we got to one in particular, the waiter took me by the hand, kissed it, and led me into the restaurant. We even got the table in front of the fire, which was nice.

The meal was actually excellent, one of the best I can ever remember having, so spending all that money wasn't as bad as it could have been, 19 Euros. We had a real laugh over the meal, and it was completely different to what I expected. I thought Dan and Peter would be out of line all night, but they weren't. Afterwards we went to an Irish pub where most of the other students already were. I spent a lot of time chatting to Kelly and Janine, and that was great because I sometimes feel like an outsider, and so far the people on this trip haven't treated me like one in the slightest!

Dan and Peter did piss some people off though. They seem to be trying to live up to a reputation for being sad bastards because they stood at the top of the stairs near the ladies toilet so any girl going down would have to squeeze past. I've heard a few grumblings today about that. There are those of us like me who know that they're just harmless, but some of the younger students aren't sure how to take them. Bottom line is that they're nice guys who don't know when to stop sometimes, but they'd never do anything to hurt someone.

We ended up staying at the pub until about 4.30 am! I don't know where the time went because it didn't seem that late. I got a taxi back to the hotel with the two sad bastards (Vicky went back a bit before with some other students), who tried to sell me to the taxi driver! They said that he could have me for 10 Euros, but he said that was "too little for such a beautiful lady", and by the time we reached the hotel, it was up to 100 Euros. Absolutely hilarious. The night before they tried to sell another student to a taxi driver and only managed to get 7 Euros fifty for her.

There was some discussion about going to Ypres today while we were still in the pub, and I managed to talk my way into that trip. I asked what time to be ready and was told 9.00 am, so, even though it was 5.00 when I was going up to my room, I was ready this morning at 9.00 am. Guess who wasn't awake though. I knocked on their door and I think I was told to "fuck off", but I'm not quite sure. So I stuck a note under the door telling them that I was ready when they told me to be, and if they still wanted to go to Ypres, to let me know when they were ready, leaving my room number and mobile number. Then I went back to bed.

They actually crawled out of bed sometime around 11.30, and we caught a train for Ypres. It was a really fun journey on the train, and we had a great time exploring. Dan the Desperate One had me in stitches because while we were walking on the ramparts of the city walls through a park where other people were walking their dogs, he said "We should have bought a lead for The Bitch so she doesn't run away". After that, my name was "The Bitch". If they thought it was going to wind me up, they were wrong! I nearly passed out laughing.

We had a late lunch and caught the train back to Brussels, getting there in time to be told to get ready to go out. It is one of the girls' 20th birthday, not to mention it is the Man U match tonight, which is being shown in another Irish pub (there are lots of them in Brussels).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home