24 February 2005

Diary Entry

Oh geez. What a night. It started off horribly, but eventually got better. One of the people on the trip had a go at someone else, leading to an argument and tears. Fortunately it was resolved later, but it left several of us feeling stressed. More later. I need sleep. I don't know what's gotten into me on this trip, but after the pub and the restaurant and another pub, we came back to the hotel and stayed up drinking until time for breakfast.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Right, I almost don't know where to start! Tonight I have found out that I am, evidently, having an affair with Dan the Desperate One. There was a bet that we would be at it before the end of the trip, and if I remember correctly, someone has actually collected their winnings! Years ago I would have been freaked at the idea that someone thought I was screwing around, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious. Forget the idea that I've never cheated on Simon, or anyone else for that matter. I might have been married three times, but I have never screwed around. But come on! I value my university studies too much to mess it up with a relationship, or even a one night stand, like that! If I were single and he weren't in control of some of my grades, sure why not? Nothing against the man. I like him. People seem to think that he was only on the trip to mess around with the female students anyway, and after spending a few days with him, I know he wouldn't. He might be a sad bastard (just like I'm The Bitch), but he definitely has a few morals lurking around in there somewhere.

Anyway, we went to an Irish pub to watch the Man U match, which they lost. There was a bit of a row between a couple of people, like I said before I went to sleep. That didn't ruin the night completely, but it did leave an atmosphere. They made up, and I think drink and fatigue had a lot to do with it, especially one the part of one of the people.

There was a Belgian man in the pub who spoke no English, but he definitely made himself a part of our party! He had to have been old enough to have fought in World War II, but by the end of the night he was wanting one of the ladies to have his babies! He asked us if we were all English, and I said no, I was American. Big mistake! He looked at me like I was the devil incarnate, but later he came back and I managed to tell him that I am American but I live in England and don't like George Bush. After that, he kissed me on my cheeks three times and things were great. He thought we were all some kind of harem belonging to Dan, which was really funny.

The birthday girl was unbelievably loud, swearing, bumping into people, spilling drinks, etc. She spilt white wine all over me at one point. Thank goodness it was white wine.

We headed off for a meal afterwards, back in the same road where we were the night before with waiters bidding for our custom. The winner was the restaurant that offered us each two glasses of champagne too celebrate the birthday. Another expensive meal, and it wasn't as good as the one the night before either. At one point, someone told Dan he wasn't going to be able to sleep in his room last night because she was going to shag Peter Pervert. (He's not really a pervert in the true sense either, but I like the nickname.) Earlier she had said she was going to shag Dan, but she dumped him for Peter. I think they shared a snog at one point, but just like the affair I'm supposed to be having, that's just a rumour so I'll take that one with a grain of salt. It was funny anyway. Saying that, after we went back to the Irish pub where we were the night before, she was rubbing Dan's leg in a really seductive way. I saw that myself, and I told her about it this morning. She can't remember doing it and wishes she hadn't!

I found out that one of the other "mature" students is from Chesterfield. Well, Cresswell, which is still sort of classified Chesterfield. Anyway, it's not far from where I live. Small world.

I did get hit on by a couple of Middle Eastern men. Nothing against Middle Eastern men, I just couldn't understand them. Fortunately I was wearing a wedding ring and was able to make that clear. We also saw the taxi driver Dan and Peter tried to sell me to. Peter told him I was his wife and wanted to know if he was married and could they trade. Yep, Peter Pervert is a fitting name.

When we went back to the hotel, we had been invited up to the birthday girl's room. That's when I found out from Gabby that I'm having an affair. She was one of the ones who really believed that we would get off together before the end of the trip, but I think she's pretty sure we're not doing it now.

We were drinking lots of vodka and playing drinking games and having a good time, but the birthday girl was really pissed and puking in the toilet, then she got pissed off because all her vodka was gone. She had invited to her room for a party, and she got the vodka out and told Dan to be bartender, but people don't think logically when they're pissed. She was so upset she smashed the bottle. I had a bottle of peach and apricot wine in my room, so I grabbed it and we went up to Kelly and Gabby's room.

Evidently there is now something called "Gabby's Law". She started off by telling us how she defended Dan to the other students who said that he would happily shag as many of the 18 and 19 year old students as he possibly could. (Seems it would have been more acceptable for him to shag me, being nearer his age.) She said she didn't think he would, and that he would run a mile. Then she turned around and told him he was a pervert. Dan, being a law lecturer, wanted her to explain more fully, and all she could say was "because you are". Then he said the guy she was hanging out with, who he calls "Truckerboy", is gay. She said she knew he wasn't gay, but that wasn't good enough for Dan. He wanted to know why. So now, evidence is based on Gabby's Law, which is not binding on future decisions and can be changed at the whim of Gabby. Absolutely hilarious.

More hysterical laughter, and by that time I was so pissed I don't remember what we talked about! I'm sure it will come back to me later, and I'll edit my diary in my blog as my memory returns. (Thank heavens for online journals!) Before we knew it, it was 7.00 am and they were serving breakfast downstairs. We ate and debated Gabby's Law some more.

I haven't got a clue how I managed to NOT have a hangover! I went up to bed at about 8.00 and slept until 1.00 or so. Then I went down to Dan and Peter's room and asked them if they wanted some coffee. I figured I'd be nice and repay them for treating me so nicely, even calling me The Bitch seems a term of endearment, by fetching them a cup of coffee from around the corner. Dan was still in bed (a scary sight if I've ever seen one). They said they would get up and go with me because they wanted to do some shopping anyway. We were going to try to go by train to Germany since it isn't far from Brussels to the German border, but after last night and this morning, there was no way we would make it.

We went with Kay and Kerry to a cafe for a wonderful cappuccino, then Dan, Peter and I went off for some shopping. I managed to get something for everyone, I think. The snow was really coming down but it didn't stick. Still, it was beautiful despite being so cold.

We found a C&A, and Dan kept saying "I need to dress up My Bitch". I did find a skirt that I'm going to wear out tonight. As far as the see-through outfit he was saying he was going to buy me, I wouldn't have worn it anyway. I did get proof that Dan is actually a gentleman at heart. He carried my shopping for me and took a lot of time picking things out for his wife and son.

Tonight is the last night party, and I'm sure it's going to be one for the memory book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home