22 August 2005

Kids!

Sometimes I wonder what it takes to get through to my kids. From the sound of it, one thing: money.

Malorie and Braden have been at their dad's house in Texas for the past month, and yesterday they were dropped off at my parents' house to get ready for the trip home to England. I spoke to them earlier today, and neither one of them sounded bothered about me or their home whatsoever! Malorie especially let it be known that she didn't want to come back because, according to her, she's met up with some friends from the brief time she lived in Texas with her dad in 2000 (he refused to send them back after their summer visit, and I had to take him to court, where the judge immediately ordered him to return them but it took five months). She informed me that she's come to realise that her friends here are "childish".

Now that's the pot calling the kettle black! She might be 16, but she has always acted younger than her years. I couldn't resist saying, "That might be true, but maybe if you started fancying boys your age or older instead of ones two or three years younger than you, and if you started hanging around with kids your age instead of younger ones, they wouldn't seem so childish!"

But the corker was how she has been spoiled by her dad, with him giving her money to do "lots and lots of shopping". The kids don't go without here, but they're not spoiled. I have been trying to teach them to work for their money. Besides, I always thought the most important way to show someone you loved them was through actions. Evidently I was wrong. The true way is with cold hard cash. (Note: that last sentence should be read with sarcasm.)

Unfortunately, where Malorie is concerned, the message has been lost. She once informed me that when she turns 18, she's going to move in with her dad. Why? He said he'd buy her a new car if she did. I told her that's fine by me, but when she turns 18, she better get him to send her the money for a plane ticket because I'm not paying. She couldn't understand that. She thought I'd just hand over the money to fly her to Texas!

Braden isn't as bad, but he still sounded as excited to speak to me as he would be to speak to an insurance salesman on the phone.

Enough of a tirade. I have to try and get some rest before leaving in the middle of the night to pick them up from Gatwick Airport. That's not exactly a short run down the motorway, but even that doesn't prove my love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home