06 November 2005

Music Memories

I've been converting some of my CDs to MP3 so I can put them on my MP3 player to drag along on tram rides to uni and work outs in the gym. They only play R&B and rap on video channels in the gym at uni, so I need some of my own music to keep me sane.

One of my CDs is of songs from the '70s, and boy! are the memories of my childhood flowing back ...

Kansas - "The Point of Know Return": Skating at Fifth Wheel in Garland with my best friend Elizabeth and wishing boys thought I was pretty enough to ask me to slow dance. One really cute Brazilian guy did ask me to skate once, but I never saw him again after that. I guess he went back to Brazil.

Shaun Cassidy - "Da Doo Ron Ron Ron": My first concert! My friend Amy Smeltzer's mom took us, and the opening band played cover songs of the Bay City Rollers.

Olivia Newton-John - "Don't Stop Believing": The first album my parents ever bought me ... okay, the first one that wasn't "Sesame Street". Obviously by "album" I mean a disk-shaped vinyl object that played on a rotating table with a needle.

The Partridge Family - "I Think I Love You": One of my favourite shows as a kid. Yes, I loved David Cassidy as much as his half-brother Shaun (see above) but thought Danny was a pain in the ass.

The Monkees - "I'm a Believer": Another TV show with memories. I actually met Micky Dolenz at an autograph signing in Dallas once, but I gave the autograph to my sister Kim. She was (probably still is) Monkee mad.

Bee Gees - "Night Fever": My uncle Keith (always a very cool uncle) gave me the "Saturday Night Fever" album. My parents never would let me see the movie though. I finally saw it when I was in my early 20s and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Very tame by today's standards!

Bette Midler - "The Rose": This was one of the first songs I ever learned to play on the piano!

Donna Summer - "Hot Stuff": This always reminds me of "The Full Monty" ... right, that's not a childhood memory, but I think of this song every time I go to uni because the tram goes directly in front of the building where the scene was filmed of the guys in the dole queue dancing to "Hot Stuff".

I'm sure I'll have tons more memories to post when I get to my 80s collection! That was my decade!

1 Comments:

Blogger letti said...

ah, being a child of the 70s and 80s myself, i can appreciate THAT :)

3:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home