06 February 2006

Stroppy Cows and Headaches

What a day! This is the first Monday I've had my 9.00 victimology lecture/seminar since before Christmas, and it did take some motivation to get my butt out of bed and off to the tram station for 7.50! I made it just in time, though I didn't get to stop and pick up my usual cup of coffee from the campus canteen. Still, I managed to stay awake for the two hour session. It's not actually that hard, seeing as how it's a topic I enjoy, and I also like the lecturer/tutor. We have North American origins in common, so I'm also the one person who never has to ask, "What did she say?" because of her Canadian accent.

Yesterday Jack and I did a bit of head banging. Unfortunately it was against each other's heads. After victimology, my head was aching and my stomach was churning, so I decided to play it safe and head home rather than stick around until my 2.00 land law lecture. (I printed the notes and am using those as guidance with my textbook, so hopefully I won't be too far behind.)

On the way to the tram, I stopped to see about getting my deposit back for the trip to Brussels, which I can't go on because of my gall bladder. I'm still really disappointed not to be going. I had such a good time last year that I will treasure the memories. At least, by not going this year, my memories of last year's trip won't be tainted. But I digress ... as usual.

The lady in the office informed me that, not only do I not get my deposit back, but I also have to pay the balance due -- another £70! I told her that the trip organiser informed us when we signed up that, if for some reason we couldn't go, if we pulled out at the beginning of January, we could have our deposit back. She said nope, no way. No fifty quid, which is a lot of money to me, and I'm expected to pay the other seventy. Any arguments, I needed to go see Jim, who organises the trip.

Needless to say this wasn't making my headache or stomach feel better, so it was off to see Jim. Fortunately he was in his office, and, being the lovely guy he is, he said that because I let him know in early January, and because I'm pulling out for medical reasons, I can have my deposit back. He was so sweet it made me even sadder that I'm not going again. I'm going to take a bottle of Chardonnay in tomorrow and give it to one of the other lecturers going on the trip to surprise Jim with, just as a thank you. Maybe they can toast the fact that the silly American isn't going, but the least I can do is buy them all a drink to do it with!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody jobsworths....

At least it all worked out in the end.

12:35 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

I was very relieved when Jim said that of course I could have my deposit back. They've had lots of students drop out at the last minute for stupid reasons. One guy wants a refund because he doesn't have a passport! What the hell has he been doing for the last three months since signing up? And why did he sign up without having a passport?

I've brought the group a bottle of wine. Unfortunately I can't find anyone to give it to, and I've been hauling it around in my backpack! LMAO

2:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, when is it? Next week? He can still get a passport if he applies in person...

4:55 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Very true. The pillock.

Well, his loss is my gain. They've offered me a discount if I still want to go, gall stone or no gall stones ... I might have to postpone our drink next Wednesday! ;-)

6:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home