28 June 2007

Eventful Week

I can't say that this week has been boring. It started off with a bang (of sorts) with two interviews for jobs on Monday. I actually never showed up for the interview I went down there for in the first place because I went to an appointment at an agency and ended up freaking them out. In a good way, of course.

It's a recruitment agency who has contracts with some of the top law firms in that city.* The woman I spoke to on the phone when I was making the appointment sounded like she was interested in seeing me, but didn't seem all that enthusiastic. That seemed to change once I got there. The first thing they had me do was take a typing test. I took it, the results printed off, and one of the girls in reception looked at me funny. She said that I would have to take an audio typing test because of my typing test results. I took it, the results printed off, and one of the girls in reception looked at me funny. Sense a pattern here?

Turns out that my typing speed was 84 words per minute with a 1% error rate. My audio typing speed was 62 words per minute with no errors. That's what freaked them out. The average typing speed for the people on their books is - get this - 35 words per minute.
Suddenly people from various parts of the agency were coming in, giving me their business cards, and showing me jobs they'd like to put me forward for. I have one interview next week for a law firm who has said that they're keen to speak to me about two jobs, so much so that if I have any offers before I go in, I'm to let them know immediately so they can push my interview forward.

I had another interview with a different recruitment agency that afternoon, and they've got me an interview for the same day next week. Things are looking good, and the company where I work now is very supportive of me because they realise I'm not going because I want more money or am dissatisfied with the company but because I'm following David down there. Well, that's one of the reasons but I'm happy for them to latch onto that one.

I almost didn't make it back to Chesterfield Monday night. When we got to the train station so I could catch my 20.00 train, we found out that nothing was running north of Derby. David brought me home, then he got stuck in Chesterfield because the town was flooded. Badly. The whole area has been flooding. He did make it to work on time the next morning but he had to set off at 6.30 just to get out of Chesterfield.

Chesterfield didn't fare very well yesterday when one of the grocery stores in the town centre caught fire. It's smack in the middle of a busy shopping precinct as well. The smoke was so bad we could see it from our office, and when I got home I discovered that my house was in the smoke path. Yuck.

As for work ... Let's not go there. My desk has enough paper on it from the week I was away that I'm sure it's an entire tree!

*I'm still not revealing where I'm moving to in public though will be happy to tell my true friends where I'm heading. Obviously it's south of Chesterfield but that's all I'm saying for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home