06 February 2007

On the Threshold of a Milestone ...

My last day as a "thirty-something". The last few hours of the last day. And far from feeling apprehensive, depressed or worried that when I wake up tomorrow I will be 40, I feel content. In fact I feel better about myself and my life than I did when I turned 20 or 30.

A few people have commented to me that it's all downhill after turning 40. Why is that? It's just a number at the end of the day. I will be the same person tomorrow that I am today, the only difference being that I move up an age bracket. Life is what you make of it, and I've finally learned to make the most of it!

I was pleasantly surprised tonight to get a very nice birthday present from my ex-husband, his wife and the boys. The ex tends to be a bit practical where presents are concerned. For Christmas they got me a toasted sandwich maker, and for my birthday they gave me a coffee maker. How cool is that?

My best friend Michelle popped round this evening, too, and she brought me chocolates and flowers. Always a great present to give a woman, and entirely acceptable from one female to another (I can't see it going down very well if it were a man giving them to another man somehow, but then again I hate to stereotype).

I'm taking tomorrow of work as a holiday, which it is in a fashion. It's the anniversary of my entrance into the world, and I'm going to spend it just chilling out. Originally I'd planned to sleep late, do a lot of reading, maybe do some shopping and have a massage at the gym. Now I have to fork out for a new clutch for the Barbie Jeep, so the shopping and massage are out the window, but that's okay. Plans change. I can still go to the gym for the jacuzzi, sauna and aromatherapy room. And I can window shop instead of splashing out.

What I won't be surprised by is the phone call I will get from my parents and my father's comment that I'm old now that I've turned 40. And, giving my traditional response honed from past milestones, I will say "At least I don't have a 40 year old daughter".

1 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

A VERY Happy Belated Birthday to you, my friend! Sorry I haven't commented here or emailed you in a while. All sorts of things have been gobbling up my free time lately.

I got back from a trip to Portugal and Ireland about a week ago. I went over there for 2 weeks this time. It felt like I had been there a month, and damn if I didn't want to leave!

8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home