01 January 2007

Happy New Year!

Well 2006 is a year that I definitely won't forget. It's brought many changes, and most of them have been changes for the good. For the first time in my life, I'm very content. That doesn't mean I'm complacent and expect life to be a bed of roses from here on out. Quite the opposite. I know there will be lots of downs in the future, but I know I can handle them. In a way I hit rock bottom this year with the lowest being in April and May, and I've come out on the other side smiling. There's no reason why I can't meet anything that life dishes out head on and keep smiling.

The most important change definitely has to involve the kids. At the start of 2006 all four of them were miserable. Malorie and Braden especially were suffering, being treated as slaves while I was trying to get to lectures and seminars and just get through my last year of university in general. Now we're in a new house with a new life. I was touched when Malorie told her friends that I've become more like a big sister to her than a mum. That didn't stop her from rebelling in November, but she had to learn on her own that life doesn't sort itself out just because you've thrown a temper tantrum.

Ricky and Jack are so much happier too. They're in a school that they like. Their old school was good academically, but they were treated as outsiders because of the small community. Now they're learning French, playing football, and involved in school assemblies. And they run back and forth between my house and their dad's constantly. The fact that Richard and I can sit down at the table for Christmas dinner together thrilled them to bits.

How am I celebrating bringing in the New Year? It's not exactly the New Year for me. That came in October with Samhain. But it's the start of a new calendar year, and while most of the people I know are out celebrating with their friends, I'm lucky enough to be at home with my two favourite little boys. (Braden is a big boy, and I wish he and Malorie were here too!) We've been playing board games and are getting ready to watch Little Britain. Right now they're feeding their faces yet again, probably celebrating the fact that they trounced me in the Game of Life.

I've told them that at midnight I expect big kisses from them. That brought a resounding "D'oh!" from the pair of them! But after midnight we're having a feast of bacon and fried egg sandwiches.

I can't even be upset that I can't drink tonight, seeing as how I've been "hired" as a taxi driver for the night by Richard and Donna. But I know who won't have a hangover in the morning!

I wish all of you a happy New Year, full of laughter and joy.

xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home