30 November 2004

A Texan Abroad

I wish I had a pound for every time someone said "That doesn't sound like a local accent". I don't mind it really, but after being in England for almost seven years, I tend to forget that I have an accent. Most of the people around me are used to hearing it and don't comment on it.

Usually when I tell someone I'm from Dallas, I hear "So who did shoot JR?". I don't know if they honestly don't know or just can't remember. Fortunately I do know who shot him because if I didn't, I would probably have to find another way to prove I'm from Dallas. I mean, come on, someone from that city who doesn't know that it was Sue Ellen's sister Kristin who shot the bastard.

Yesterday, however, I had a pleasant surprise. A salesman who came into my shop commented that I didn't have a local accent and asked where I'm from. When I replied "Dallas", he commented that he was in Dallas only a few months ago. I've heard that one before, too, but so far from no one who has been there in the past 30 years or who never left DFW airport. Much to my astonishment, the salesman asked me what the name of the Italian restaurant with the cable car in the middle of it is called because he enjoyed eating there. That's Spagetti Warehouse, and it was one of my absolute favourite restaurants when I was a kid! I can remember my dad having spagetti with butter and garlic sauce and wishing I could have the same, only my mother wouldn't let me.

I haven't been back "home" to see my family and friends in Texas for over four years, so it was really nice chatting to someone who has been to some of the places I grew up seeing. We had a long conversation about Dealey Plaza and who shot JFK because, of course, when you grow up in Dallas, you grow up with the assassination. I wasn't born until 1967, but it was still a major event when I was in school. The first field trip I can ever remember was to Dealey Plaza, and I remember my teacher telling me that we had just driven over the spot where Kennedy was shot.

I don't get homesick for Texas very often, but it happens. And it's nice to know that when someone tells me that they enjoyed the Texas hospitality and their visit to Dallas, I still swell up with pride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home