11 December 2004

Silverstone Saved ... Again!

I went to my first grand prix this year. It was at Silverstone for the British Grand Prix. Michael Schumacher won, but I don't want to talk about that.

You can't believe how excited I was! I had been to Silverstone to watch testing on three occasions, and hearing the sound of those F1 engines is an experience bordering on orgasmic! The television does not do them justice. Needless to say, the prospect of hearing 20 of them on the grid ...

And to top it off, I was going to get to see David Coulthard in person at his Supporter's Club bash on the Thursday night before the race! Between coming into close proximity with DC and hearing those engines live again, my husband knew he had been relegated to the background of my mind, but he knows me only too well and figured he might as well accept it.

Sure enough, the Bash was brilliant, and I met DC. I even got his autograph on a picture a friend had taken in Bahrain earlier in the year. This is now framed and sitting in front of me.

Friday morning, I got up bright and early, and we headed off to the track for the practice sessions. That's when it hit.

The flu.

By Sunday afternoon, I could have cared less whether there were 20 cars on the grid or just one beat up old Mini. I wanted to go home and die in peace. Normally I would have been disappointed at yet another Michael Schumacher victory, but I don't think I even realised he won. At one point I thought Kimi Raikkonen was the winner.

My long-awaited first Grand Prix was ruined by germs. I don't know who gave them to me (although I am 99 per cent sure it was the hubby), but the damage was done before I got to the track. So, being philosophical, I thought "Just because it's my first race, doesn't mean it will be my last!"

Bernie Ecclestone nearly ruined that for me. I have been on the edge of my chair for months now waiting to hear if there will even be a British Grand Prix next year. First it was yes, then no, then yes, then no. There were ups when I heard that a consortium lead by Nigel Mansell was going to "save" the race. Then there were downs when I heard Ecclestone denying that there was any deal with said consortium.

But now it's true! Silverstone has been saved, and I am going to my second Grand Prix! Okay, I haven't bought tickets because they haven't even gone on sale yet, but I will! Money allowing, anyway.

And I'm hoping that DC signs a contract with Red Bull so he will be there, and I can see him up close at another Bash. I'm also now a member of my other favourite driver's Supporter's Club. Mark Webber is talented, a nice guy and very nice to look at.

So if any of you have the flu next June or July, don't you come anywhere near me!

2 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

Hope you're able to make it to next year's race, Mel! For me, it's the U.S. Grand Prix, provided I can get tickets, provided I can get time off, provided.... Well, a lot of things must be provided, obviously.

12:05 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I still say they should have the US GP in Dallas again. I'd definitely make that one, seeing as how my parents are only a short dash down the expressway from downtown Dallas!

I hope you make it to Indy, and I hope it's as exciting as it was this year, without injuries this time though!

12:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home