19 January 2005

Diary Entry

8.50 pm What a day! I had another morning where I just could not wake myself up no matter how hard I tried. I've had a lot like that lately, and I had been doing so well before. I rarely slept later than 9.00, but now 9.00 comes and goes without me realising it. Simon took me to the tram, and I headed off to uni. When I got there, my first stop was the pay the balance on my trip to Brussels. The woman who usually handles it wasn't in today, and I don't think the woman who helped me found my name on the list! She took my cheque anyway, but I have a bad feeling about this. Fortunately I have receipts for this payment and the deposit I paid months ago. Okay, saying that, I've just checked to see if I can find the original receipt, and I can't. Fortunately the lecturer I gave the money to should remember me paying him. I think I was the first, and I'm sure I'm the only American.

Then my day got even better. I went to study in the library and realised just how much I couldn't remember about the topics for the exam. I read and read and read. I really did my best to revise for this exam because I went over and over the topics.

It was raining when I went over to the Sports Hall to take the exam. The Sports Hall is in the basement of the Pearson Building. Lots of people with wet shoes going down slippery steps with slippery metal guards on the edges ... and guess who is the one who went smack on her ass down three steps? I have a lump the size of an egg on my hip, I jarred my right shoulder and hurt my right wrist. The wrist bit was especially poignant seeing as how I was 15 minutes away from taking an exam. And I'm right handed.

Probably the worst thing at the time was the embarrassment. I'm already the old foggy of the Law and Criminology students, seeing as how most of the rest of them are young enough to be my children. Now I look like the old and clumsy one. A very nice guy stepped forward and helped me up though. I'll bet my face was a hundred different shades of red.

So, in pain and trying to crack jokes about having a "nice trip" and putting in a claim for compensation according to what we've learned in tort law, I spent two hours of pure torture trying to write two essays on subjects that seem to have flown out of my head. I'm not even sure if I answered the questions that were asked. I know I wrote everything I could remember on positivist criminology and Durkheim's contributions to criminology. At least I sort of wrote about Durkheim. I started off badly by saying he was German. He wasn't. He was French. I knew that. Really I did. Somehow the essay turned less into detailing Durkheim's contribution and telling how Robert Merton used his theories. Don't ask me why. I was in pain. I think I did okay on the positivism question though.

After the exam I had to walk back up to the tram stop. That's what I realised that I had injured something in my hip. I had been thinking that it was a good thing I have all that cushion on my ass because it lessened the injuries to my bones, but I might have managed to sprain something all the same.

Simon is in a bad mood. He wanted to take a nap this evening but the kids wouldn't shut up. When he went into the kitchen to see who was doing all the talking, he discovered Malorie had a friend over, though she hadn't asked. Simon pointed that out to her, and Malorie completely ignored him. She's grounded for that, and now she's pissed off at me because of it. It's not for having Leah over. It's for ignoring Simon. And when we were trying to explain to her why she's grounded, she walked out the back door. Not a good idea when you're already in trouble.

Ricky and Jack completely ignored me when I told them to get ready for bed. It's Ricky's birthday tomorrow, and for someone who wants presents, he's going about it the wrong way. Before I got home, Simon said he was the only one who was quiet. Not after I got home. They're still chattering away upstairs when they're supposed to be going to sleep.

Looks like I'll be going to the doctor's tomorrow afternoon. I need to anyway for a check on my chill pill progress. Simon says the bruising is starting to come out now, so I think I'll get him to take some pictures of my colourful ass!



11.14 pm Geez, my ass hurts! It isn't too bad while I'm sitting still, but as soon as I try to move around, the pain in my backside and hip are excruciating! Simon was nice enough to cook dinner for me tonight. Okay, it was hot dogs, but I wasn't very hungry anyway, and he's feeling depressed today for some reason.

I had a wonderful dream last night. In it I failed my exam. That wasn't the good part. Ordinarily that would have bugged me, but the rest of it made up for it! During the last series of "I'm a Celebrity" there was a night club owner named Fran Cosgrove in the jungle, and I dreamed last night that he fell for me big time! It was quite a seductive dream, actually. Wow. I wish I could go into detail, but there's a chance my family, even my two older children, or possibly even my husband, could be reading this, and I would blush bright red if I did go into details. No, it wasn't that bad, but suffice it to say he was an incredible kisser! And that Irish accent ... ooooooo baby!

2.45 am I just cannot get comfortable no matter what position I lie in because of all the bruising. At least sitting at the computer I'm not putting pressure on the part of my hip that is hurt. I'm really feeling knackered now, too. I wish someone would knock me out with tranquilisers. I've taken pain killers but even they aren't helping, and they usually make me sleep like a log. At least the dog is sleeping comfortably, with his head on a cushion and four legs up in the air. I wish he would stop farting though. He has some evil farts.

So what have I spent my time doing? Blogging and reading. I finished the historical romance I was reading, Upon a Moon-Dark Moor by Rebbeca Brandewyne. The story itself is excellent. I owned a copy of the book years ago and recently bought a replacement. The writing is a bit OTT though. Still, because I like the story I can get past that. I've started the sequel Across a Starlit Sea. I read it years ago as well. It's not quite as good, and the flowery language is the same, but it's still a good relaxing read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home