20 January 2005

Return of the Clutz

Yep, I've gone and done it again. This time I have the bruises to prove it. Where are the said bruises? Of course, since I'm frequently falling on my ass, they're on my ass this time as well.

How embarrassing is this? I was walking down the stairs with one of my classmates, Lucy. It had been raining quite heavily outside, and there were a lot of students dripping into the Pearson Building. The exam we were taking today, criminological theory, was being held in the Sports Hall, which is basically in the basement. I almost made it all the way down the stairs. Actually, I did make it all the way down the stairs. I just made the last part of the journey on my ass.

A nice guy stepped forward and helped me to my feet. I quipped, "Thank you. I had a rather nice trip". To one of my other classmates, I laughed, "Adam, do you think I can apply what I've learned in tort law and put in a claim?" On the outside, I was poking fun at myself, as usual.

On the inside, I was crying my eyes out and screaming in pain. I have a lump the size of an egg on my hip. I jarred my right shoulder, and I think I might have sprained my right wrist. That was not good going into a two hour exam when you're right handed.

I honestly don't know what I wrote on the exam paper. I know I regurgitated everything I knew about positivist criminology and it's contributions to theory, but I don't remember if I tied it in to how it affected future theorists. I did a poor job on outlining how Emile Durkheim was important to understanding crime. I even called him a German. I know he wasn't German. He was French. Duh! Instead of going into Durkheim's theories, I defined a couple of them and waffled on about Robert Merton using some and disagreeing with others.

Had I fallen sooner, I could have submitted an extenuating circumstances form to the School of Social Science and Law. That wasn't an option in this case since it has to be handed in 24 hours prior to the exam. How the hell did I know I was going to do some butt bouncing down the stairs? Next time I should submit one just in case!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home