10 February 2005

HRH Camilla

Well, it's about bloody time. We all knew it was coming, whether we were for or against it. Prince Charles is to marry his long-time love, mistress, friend, whatever you want to call her, Camilla Parker-Bowles on the 8th of April at Windsor Castle.

And why shouldn't he? The fault in the marriage between Charles and Diana might have been because of his love for Camilla, but it could have ended regardless. There were so many things going against them from the day they married. If it hadn't been Camilla, it might have been someone else.

I've read some comments from the public on the BBC News website, and a few of them have made me sit here shaking my head. One of them commented that he shouldn't be allowed to marry her because she's a divorcee. Well, so is he! He divorced Diana (or she divorced him, but that's not the point). One of the more sensible comments was that if any of us are going to pass judgment on their marrying, we should look at our own lives first.

How would any of us have felt if we'd been pressured into marrying someone we weren't in love with? I have no doubt that Charles was pressured, and despite the fact that he was an adult in his 30s when he married Diana, he was brought up (brainwashed, even) into putting duty first before personal happiness. And what a disaster that turned out to be!

I think that the Queen's "allowing" them to marry and granting Camilla the title HRH the Duchess of Cornwall is a good compromise. She won't have the title of Queen, nor will she be Princess of Wales. If William and Harry have no objections, I don't see how anyone else can. Come on, this is the 21st century! Divorce is a fact of life for many of us. I know that idea isn't popular with a lot of people, but it's true. It happened. Get over it and let them be a happy newlywed couple. If she's stuck with him all these years, she's earned it.


6 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I have no vested interest in who Prince Charles marries, although I do think both of them are kind of dolts for marrying other people in the first place since they met when they were much younger. Aside from that I have very limited knowledge of the situation.

However, I can understand how some religious people might have issues with him being a divorcee and also marrying a divorcee, since he is going to be the head of the Church of England which apparently frowns on remarriage after divorce. But they shouldn't be just worried about Camilla's divorce then.

Additionally, I think it's really annoying that people seem to show so much hatred for Camilla and not as much for Charles. He is just as much at fault if not more so. I mean, even given that he WAS pressured, he needed to grow some balls and stand by his decision or he shouldn't have gone along with it in the first place. Maybe that rugby betting chap could have loaned him some, even ;)

Hmm...for someone without any interest, I am sure opinionated!

5:47 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

The Church of England doesn't allow remarriage of divorcees, except under certain circumstances. Charles and Camilla definitely don't fall into those categories, so I think it's good that the church hasn't made an exception for them.

The thing I think is ironic is how people think Charles shouldn't become King and head of the Church of England if he marries Camilla, but it's okay for him to become King if he just keeps her as his mistress. As far as I'm concerned, I think it should be the other way around.

8:04 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Oh yeah, I meant to add that had the church allowed them to get married in the church, I would have been pretty pissed off. We couldn't get married in a church (not a Church of England one anyway) because Simon and I were both divorcees. We could have had the church blessing like Charles and Camilla are going to have though.

10:45 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

Agreed. Either situation is unbefitting of the head of a religion. And thus ends my two cents.

10:09 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

Now I forgot to add "unbefitting of a religion with policies that disapprove of said behavior/situations." I personally would rather have people divorce and be happy, and I am not too worried about their former marital status when they find someone they really want to marry. :)

5:15 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

Your opinion is worth more than two cents any time, Jenni! :-)

The funny thing is how Charles has always said he doesn't want to be "Defender of THE Faith", referring to the Church of England or even Christianity as the title was intended to do when it was bestowed on Henry VIII. He wants to be "Defender of Faiths" meaning every belief. I think that's cool. He's not such an old fuddy duddy after all. Besides, what does the King of England really have to do? He has no power in the Church of England, he just smiles, shakes hands and makes money for charities while the taxpayer subsidises him. LOL

3:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home