06 February 2005

Super Bowl UK Style

The past few years I have paid little or no attention to "American football", as it is called in the UK and other parts of the world where "football" is actually what Americans call "soccer". For some reason though, this year I have been itching to watch the Super Bowl. It's definitely not the teams. My beloved Boyz (Dallas Cowboys) aren't in it. My second favourite team, the 49ers, aren't in it either. It's Philadelphia and New England, or the Eagles and Patriots (pronounced Pat-ree-otts by the Brits on the telly instead of Pate-ree-utts as us Yanks say).

Maybe I'm homesick. It's been almost five years since I've been back home to Texas, though I'm hoping I can save up enough to go to my high school's 20 year reunion later this year. It's definitely not team spirit because, even if Da Boyz were playing, I couldn't name a single player on the team. I don't even know who the coach is.

It's not wanting to see the commercials. I used to have more fun watching the commercials than the games nine Super Bowls out of ten. We get the standard UK commercials, and since the game is shown late at night here, that means a lot of public service announcements.

And it's not the snacks! I didn't realise until this evening that I can't even sit here with a bowl of Rotel dip and Doritos! I can get Doritos in England, though not plain tortilla chips. They're all flavoured Doritos, with some pretty unusual flavours, but that's another post for another day. The English don't have Rotel Tomatoes and Velveeta!

So I'm going to sit up and watch the game, while snacking on ... wait, let me see what I have in the cupboards. I still have some Hershey bars my parents sent over in December. Other than that, I have one can of Ranch Beans and a bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, also courtesy of my parents and some American mustard. (If you don't know the difference between American and English mustard, I suggest you try English mustard.) So much for my American snacks. Looks like a feast of prawn cocktail crisps and cream crackers.

4 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

I'll eat English mustard over American any damned day of the week!

By the way, there is absolutely NO difference between English mustard and Chinese mustard. They are both the same thing: the perfect medicine for clearing one's sinuses. The more the merrier!

5:25 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I bought some Swedish mustard at IKEA (in the food hall part, not in with the furniture, thankfully), and it's a lot like English mustard. Defintely good for the sinuses, I agree.

8:58 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

I'm something of a mustard freak, anyway. I LOVE mustard. Pretty much any kind. Generally speaking, though, the hotter, the better.

9:05 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I do too. I like American mustard because I can put lots of it on and not need a glass of water, and I like English becase it has a nice tang to it, but I can't eat lots of it.

I've recently discovered horseradish. I even bought some of that at IKEA's food market, and it's gorgeous, especially mixed into my mashed potatoes with my roast beef and Yorkshire puddings for Sunday dinner!

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home