09 February 2006

Proof That I Must Be Insane

This afternoon I went in search of the organiser for the trip to Brussels. What a rollercoaster! I wasn't sure when his office hours were, so I asked around and was told that he should be in his office and that there were still plenty of places on available.

I waited a while, went and played on the computer in the IT lab, then went back to check the office. No Jim, but I found Dennis. He seemed happy to hear that I had emailed Jim to ask if I could be reinstated into the place I gave up when I asked for my deposit back, but he was under the impression that the trip was full.

So, I waited some more. I went back to the IT lab, sent Jim an email asking him to ring me, then started home when I spotted him heading to his office at last! Unfortunately, he told me that it was true that the trip was oversubscribed, and I was not on the list. He needed to get a bit more organised, and he promised to ring me tomorrow, but it was a case of "don't get your hopes up".

Off I went, like a good little trooper with my head held high. I told myself as I got on the tram that I was in no worse position than I was yesterday morning before Dennis started doing what he called, "Showing you the error of your ways". I was disappointed, just like I was when I decided I shouldn't go because of the gall stones, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Then my mobile rang. I couldn't quite hear what Jim was saying at first because the connection was dodgy, so I asked, "That's a yes? I can go?" and he confirmed.

This is where the "I must be insane" bit comes in. I'm going with £20, a suitcase full of food from Tesco, and three bottles of wine, plus my Tia Maria if I can find room for it. I'm going to eat the breakfast that comes with the room in the hotel, I'll pack sandwiches for eating while out during the day, and I'm going to eat Pot Noodles and stuff like that in the room when I'm getting ready to go out in the evenings.

As far as I'm concerned, this will give me a chance to lose those seven pounds I've put on over Christmas and birthdays. Like I told Shell earlier, I'm taking my diet on the road!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go girl go hope u av a lovely time and dont go trying those lap dancing or pole dancing moves we just saw lol!

10:01 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Somehow I don't think that that will be a problem. I obviously won't be that drunk, and I don't want to damage myself or scare off any Europeans who don't understand puddled Americans! ;-)

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home