01 April 2006

Definition of Love

It's amazing what you think of when you spend a lot of time in your own company! I happen to like myself, but I do come up with some odd-ball stuff when I'm alone! Last night when my mate Rich was under the influence of quite a bit of beer and wine, he got on his soapbox about how people don't know what love is, and on telly tonight I heard someone say pretty much the same thing, so now that it's me who has had a drink (or two …) I've come up with my own definition, and you can either laugh at it or disagree with it or just tell me to shut the fuck up, but I think it's a pretty good one.

To me there are lots of different kinds of love but all of them have the same ingredients no matter if it's love for your child, your parents, your significant other, a friend or someone who doesn't even know you love them but admire from afar.

First there's the fact that you know you're going to have times when you argue and fall out, but it doesn't matter because you know that you still love them regardless and soon forget what the argument was about.

Second is that you are happy when you're with them and feel something missing when you're apart, but you just look forward to the next time you're together rather than dwell on the fact you aren't together at that particular time.

Third is making sacrifices for the person you love, whether it's your material possessions, your time or your energy. I would give the shirt off my back for someone I love, but I would also give my life for them if that would save theirs. Love is also sacrificing your own happiness because it's more important for the person you love to be happy than to be happy yourself.

Fourth is knowing that sometimes the person you love is going to make mistakes, but you love them regardless and are still there to pick up the pieces when things go wrong without judging them.

And fifth it's loving someone for who they are now and not who you think they might be if you worked to change them.

Now don't go telling anyone how soppy I am … Sthe words coming out of my mouth don't make sense to anyone but me (must be the accent), but if I put them into written words they have half a chance of sounding reasonably sane.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Y'think?

I think love is Mr Button's Honda V8 engine. Pretty to look at, full of noise and power and promise, but capable of a spectacular self destruct just meters from the finish line.

Oh, yes, I *know* that engine...

:-)

8:22 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Oh that's so funny! I couldn't believe it when Nick Fry said he pulled up short of the finish line so he didn't have a ten place penalty next race! WTF????? Aren't points now worth the risk of having to come through the field next time??????

8:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home