25 November 2006

Another Brit in F1 Next Year!

I saw Lewis Hamilton compete in the British Grand Prix this year in the GP2 race. This guy is good! He overtook for the lead of the race right in front of me, and at one point was alongside two other cars, three abreast. I'm glad to see he's signed with McLaren because Ron Dennis tends to favour drivers, and I have a feeling it won't be Alonso who gets the special treatment since Lewis has come up through McLaren's Young Driver's programme. I'm not much of an Alonso supporter ...



Lewis: I'll be ready for Oz
Friday, 24, November, 2006, 15:02

Lewis Hamilton says his focus over the winter will be on being as prepared as humanly possible for his Formula 1 debut at the Australian Grand Prix next March.

The 21-year-old Briton, who will become the first black driver to compete in F1 at Melbourne, is currently under-going one of the most comprehensive preparation programmes in the sport's history.

Hamilton is spending more than four hours a day in McLaren's gym, as well as receiving intensive training in mental focus, dealing with pressure and F1's rules and regulations.

"I'm not afraid of making mistakes, I understand how tough the challenge is," said Hamilton.

"But what I can do is make sure I prepare everything for the first races, but you have to make mistakes to learn to become a better driver."

Hamilton is also working with a trainer from the Finnish Olympic team who has devised a programme mental exercises to counter the pressures faced when racing for a top F1 team.

One of those pressures will be the inevitable comparisons that will be made to his double-world champion team-mate Fernando Alonso as the season unfolds.

But Hamilton already sees driving alongside the reigning title-holder as strength to his bow.

"It's a positive having such a strong team-mate," he said.

"I am not worried about it. He'll do what he does, which is drive really well, and I'll do the best I can and try eventually to compete with him"

..Hamilton says that he has yet to speak to Alonso about his appointment but revealed that while having dinner with his father during the Turkish Grand Prix weekend, the then-Renault star had come over and introduced himself to the Brit.

Hamilton described this as a "pleasant surprise" adding that he believed he would have a strong relationship with the Spaniard.

As for results, Lewis says he'll take them as they come.

"I've not thought about it," he said.

"We'll play it by ear. Every driver has a target to get to Formula 1, then the target is to win the championship at some point.

"I am going to learn as much as I can from Fernando and do the best job possible."

Despite his lack of top level experience, the GP2 Series champion reckons that not since pre-1993 has there been a better time for a rookie to enter Formula 1 with a top team.

The 2007 regulations will see Friday practice turn into three hours of unlimited running, allowing drivers the opportunity to gain experience of new cars and circuits.

Hamilton admits this was "a key factor" in stepping up to a race-seat now rather than doing a year's testing.

"I'm doing what I always wanted to do," he said.

"I was six when I first saw Ayrton Senna drive for McLaren and I knew I wanted to that."


http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38001

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home