18 November 2006

Getting There ...

A couple of weeks ago Malorie decided that she was going to move out and go stay with friends. They had her convinced that she was 17 and didn't have to follow any of my rules, so I couldn't tell her what to do. When I grounded her, they talked her into moving out and in with them. I knew it wouldn't last very long, and it didn't. Wednesday I started getting texts from her saying that she missed me, and Thursday I got a phone call asking to come pick her up.

I think she has recovered from her "ordeal" of living away from home. I don't think she had it too bad while she was there, but she admits that she just wasn't ready for it. She's emailed her dad and asked if she can go stay with him for a while. Braden's already supposed to be flying over there in a couple of weeks, but he says he'll be back the first week in January, so that's not too bad.

It'll be a strange Christmas season this year. Malorie and Braden will be away, Ricky and Jack will be with their dad (it's his year) and I won't be celebrating Christmas in the same way I have done in the past (for me it will be a Yule celebration rather than Christmas). I'm looking forward to it, actually. It'll be different, but different doesn't always have to be bad! For one thing it will be less stressful without having two teenagers demanding presents that I can't afford (I can always buy their presents before they come back from Texas but after the Christmas rush is over).

My new employment contract came in the post this week, and I realised that my first payday will be something like one or two days before Christmas! Now that's going to make things interesting ...

I basically handed in my notice at the pub last night. The landlady said they had a form come through for a reference - she said when she first saw the envelope and that it was from a solicitor's firm, she wondered who was suing them this time! - and the landlord told me that a good reference for me was a foregone conclusion. That was nice of him. He's a weird man, but basically I think he's okay. I've agreed to work next weekend and to see how it goes after that, but my employment contract says that I can't work another job without permission because of European law work-time directives. I understood that because it was a topic we covered in EU law in my second year at uni!

And, finally, the house is starting to look more and more like a home. Richard found a sofa for me (he's a dickhead but can be nice when he wants to be, and I had to call him a dickhead because he doesn't like it when I say nice things about him), and yesterday he and his mate Nick picked it up and brought it here, along with my washing machine from the old house (yay! clean clothes!). It was nice walking in from work last night and seeing a living room that doesn't look like a storage facility. All I need for now is a cheap rug, like the one for £10 I saw at IKEA on Thursday, to go in front of the sofa, and I'll be quite comfortable until I can get a new sofa and carpets!

I've taken some pics to post, but for the life of me I can't find the cable to plug my camera into the laptop, so it'll be a bit longer before I can post them! When I do finally get them onto the laptop, it's going to take a while to upload them. Because I've moved I've had to go back onto dial-up (sorry for swearing, that's such a nasty word!) while my broadband service is switched to this house. It's better than nothing but when you're used to a high speed connection ... damn is it slow!

3 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

I think you should share a little about how a Yule celebration is different from Christmas. I think it would make for some interesting reading for us ignorant non-pagan types. :P :D

Also, you've been tagged! Go here, to see what I mean. :P LOL

3:58 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

I will do that this weekend, Gary! :-) Maybe some people who have a negative idea of paganism and Wicca will get some understanding from it, so I will be happy to oblige!

And DOH! for the tag ... I'll have to do that over the weekend ... LMAO

1:42 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

Thanks for posting that. :D

4:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home