17 February 2005

Diary Entry

11.10 am I could cry. I'm fighting back the tears as it is, which is making my nose run even more than it already was from my cold. I felt too rough to go to my 9.00 seminar, but by about 10.00 I was feeling better, so I got ready to go. I figured I could be at uni in time for my 12.00 lecture. Only now my car won't start. That didn't surprise me. The thing hasn't started properly for months. I've been taking Simon's car, but he won't let me have it today because he has to go meet one of his computer mates. I asked him what they were meeting for, since he has to go all the way to Doncaster to meet up. "Because he wants to meet me". One of his internet friends. Sounds dodgy to me. But it's of the utmost importance because it takes priority over my university education. So he said he'll take me to uni, but he has to go have a shave first. Yep, I'm going to be late. I'm so pissed off.

7.10 pm Boy, was I bitchy this morning! Simon went out and started my car. Of course, I got the "If you had let me do that to start with, you would have made it in time for your 12.00 lecture". I almost said, "If you'd gone out and started it for me when I first asked you to, I would have made it in time", but I bit my tongue. I just looked at him and said, "You do pick your timing for running off to meet your mates" meaning it as a joke, but he wasn't in the mood for joking. I always try to lighten things by cracking jokes, and he knows that, but this time he decided to take me seriously, with the result that I burst into tears. Oh well, I'm better now.

I did make it in time for my crim theory lecture. In fact, I made it to the campus an hour and a half early, too late to go to the other lecture, but early enough to sit and chill with a mochaccino. They even had a string quartet playing music in there today! That was a bit odd, but it was a very nice change. I don't go in for a lot of classical music, though I do find it helps me concentrate sometimes when my brain doesn't seem to want to function.

When the crim research methods lecture let out, several of my classmates came into the area where I was sitting, but no one seemed to recognise me with the haircut. Jamie didn't until I walked up and spoke to him. So far everyone has said they like the new do and that it suits me. I hope that's true and they aren't just being nice, though I'm glad they're being nice instead of making goofy comments about it. I suppose I'm just paranoid, but I'll get over it.

I enjoy my criminological theory lectures. I guess it's because I find ways off applying the theories we're being lectured on to real life examples. That's probably because of studying so much sociology in the past. Today's lecture was on feminist theories of criminology, one of my favourites! I wouldn't call myself one of the bra-burning man-hating feminists -- how can I be a man-hater with my track record in marriage? -- but I'm still a feminist and like to compare my ideas to other theories.

I got to discover a new place on Ecclesall Road today when Jamie and I went for a coffee. It's nice sitting with a coffee (at times I kept wishing for a cigarette too, but that's another story) discussing the world in general, political ideas, sociology, etc. Actual grown up talk. And definitely 100 per cent nicer than sitting on my own in the Learning Centre pouring over books. Next time I told him it's my treat though.

There are times I wonder how people's minds work though. After our criminal law seminar, Donna said to enjoy myself next week in Brussels, but to behave myself around Dennis. He's our criminal law tutor, and he's also going on the trip. Now, why on earth would she say that? I think it's more his reputation as a flirt than anything I've said or done, and the fact that I'm closer to his age than any of the other students on our course. I just said, "Oh yeah right, don't you think that if I were going to have an affair, I'd do better than that?" I realised how bad it sounded afterwards, but I meant that I'm not so stupid as to have an affair with one of my lecturers/tutors. And what is the deal with people thinking that if you're female, you can't have male friends? You have to be "at it".

At least my car started when it was time to come home. I could just see me standing there trying to get the battery hooked up to the charger in the dark. I'm usually handy with things like that, but knowing me, I'd still screw it up somehow.

My new CSI DVD came this morning. I know what I'm going to chill out watching later!

8.43 pm Oh geez! So much for chilling out! I checked my email for my candles and discovered someone ordered 40! I have never had an order that big. All different scents and colours. This is going to be interesting. Fortunately I put a vacation notice on ebay to say I would be away until the 26th, so I don't have to rush to get all of them done before I leave on Sunday, but I emailed her and said that I would post as many as I could on Monday (well, Simon will post them for me) and the rest when I return. Then on top of that, someone requested a quote on two large and one small pillar candles. Those aren't so bad because she wants all the same scent, so it's possible I could get those finished before Sunday.

Sometimes (most of the time) I really worry about Malorie. Now she can't figure out how to press "play" on the DVD player. I was telling Jamie earlier how I worry about her because she has no clue what's going on in the world, at least as far as current events. That is, unless it involves pop stars and Hollywood gossip. When I was 17, I remember one of my friends telling me that he was sure I'd be the first female President of the United States, or at least one day be a Senator from Texas. Somehow I seriously doubt that's going to happen now. But at least at that age I was politically aware, even though I was politically naive. I wonder if Malorie even knows who Tony Blair is. I'm sure Braden does. He seems to know more about what's going on. He just doesn't care.

9.50 pm I had a quick chat with Pete before he had to leave to take his wife to work (Aussie time). What a silly man. He always makes me laugh. I know people say I'm puddled, but he takes the cake, and that's what I love about chatting to him.

I'm trying to break in a new pair of shoes. I don't usually spend as much as I did on this pair, but I needed a pair of flats and don't have a lot of time to go shopping in town, so I thought I'd see if I had anything left on my Next account and ordered some leather ballerina-type shoes. I must have had at least that much left on the account because they came today. I still feel guilty though because I don't think I've ever spent this much on a pair of shoes (£30), and I don't usually spend much money on myself. When I do, the guilt hits. Hopefully they'll last a while though, unlike the cheap crap I usually buy.

I have three assignments due in my criminology modules on the 28th of April, then three law exams not long after that. I have got to get my act together and start getting ready for all six when I get back. I've actually started on some of it, but it's not enough. I need less goofing off and more buckling down.

11.08 pm I think I'm having an early night! Yippee!

12.17 am Okay, maybe not. As soon as I typed that, Pete popped up for another chat once he got home from taking Tracey to work. I feel bad, he sent me a song to listen to last night/early this morning, and I haven't had a chance to listen to it. I don't have headphones to plug into this laptop (or at least I can't find my headphones), and I try to listen to his new songs with a bit of quiet. I'll probably manage it in the morning before I head off for my seminar. I need to remember to put a couple of different CDs in my car. I've been listening to Boston this week. I'm trying to decide between Hootie and the Blowfish or Charlie Mars for tomorrow.

Time to take the make-up off and curl up under the quilt. I'm freezing! At least my bitchiness seems to be gone. Funny thing is that Simon didn't seem to notice I was being bitchy this morning. He usually doesn't. Either I'm not as bitchy as I think I am, or he's not paying attention. Probably the latter. He's gotten where he spends 16 hours a day on his computer and the other 8 sleeping. That adds up to 24 doesn't it? My maths are crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home