18 February 2005

Something About Me #2

I did so well with number 1, I decided to go for number 2! This time I have a photo to go along with it:

I was once a movie extra in a film called "Necessary Roughness". It was filmed in Denton, Texas, on the University of North Texas campus, and it was about a college football team who had to drag itself up after a big football scandal. The quarterback was played by Scott Bakula. He was the guy in "Quantum Leap" and the pre-quel "Star Trek" series. I forgot what the name of it was. Was it "Enterprise"?

Anyway, I spent three nights sitting in a football stadium playing cards with other people between takes and jumping up and cheering when they were filming. I even got to run out onto the field for the closing scene and jump up and down with the stars of the film.

I managed to find a copy of it on DVD, and thanks to the wonders of pausing, I even managed to find myself in one of the crowd scenes. Geez, I was so skinny back then no one else would recognise me!

Here's a picture I took of Scott Bakula on the first night of filming. I also have a picture of me taken with him, but it's in a frame and the picture is stuck to the glass. I don't dare try to peel it off to scan it, if I even had a scanner, but I'll see about taking a picture of it and posting it as well.

Oh wait, I found where I must have scanned it years ago!



3 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

I remember you telling me about this before, including the photos. This is the first I've seen them, though. Very nice.

4:20 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks Gary. Yep, that's the young, skinny me back in 1992 or 1993. I know Braden was just a little guy when the movie was filmed. Nope, the DVD cover actually says 1991.

7:11 pm  
Blogger Pamela said...

How fun, Melinda!!!
I was an extra in Billy Madison way too many years ago, but no matter how many times I watch that movie I've still NEVER seen myself! It's probably a shoulder shot or something. *g*
I can't quite see what the point of paying us was if they weren't going to put us in the movie. But hey...works for me! :o)
btw - I LOVE your "Something About Me" posts. What a fun idea...think I may have to "borrow" it. ;o)

7:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home