18 March 2005

Freaky Happenings

I stayed home from uni today with a massive headache and toothache and general ickiness, and I've been flipping through different news websites looking for stuff to blog about. Little did I know ...

I don't check the news from my hometown very often, but today, lacking anything better to do, I had a look. Nothing there of any interest to me personally. So, while I was on the Dallas Morning News website, I, by a total fluke, clicked on the link to paid obituaries.

I found one of my relatives, my grandfather's cousin's wife Joy. Okay, I know that doesn't sound like it was a close relative, but if you knew my family, you'd know that even distant cousins related by marriage were close-ish relatives. In a big family, there are a lot of weddings, anniversary parties, funerals, etc., so you tend to keep in touch. I spent the first thirty years of my life in Texas with this big family, and I haven't forgotten anyone now that I live 5000 miles away, I hope.

My first instinct was to ring my parents, until I realised that it won't even be 6.00 am in Texas right now. I did the next best thing. I emailed the obituary to my dad so he can see it when he checks his email. I'm sure they already know about it because someone will have phoned my grandmother who will have phoned my mother.

It's just so freaky that the day I checked the obituaries for the first time in probably six months, if not longer, I find not only someone I know but someone I'm related to!

5 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Still freaked out ...

12:03 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Hmmmm, and I thought I was looking at them with the hope that I wouldn't see anyone I knew listed. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll keep looking in the Dallas obits thinking that I'll see you listed there. After all, being from Australia it only makes sense you'd be listed in a Texas paper, right?

I hope you're feeling well, Pete! Honestly! I'll stay away from obituaries if it means you stay well and don't kick the bucket on me!

9:30 pm  
Blogger SierraBella said...

I used to work for our local telephone company. A co-worker was assigned to fix a line at a nearby funeral home. He had to pass through the preparation room to access the equipment, and saw not one, but two bodies he knew! It really freaked him out, needless to say.

9:43 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Oh geez, that would definitely freak me out big time! And I thought what happened to me today was weird!

9:45 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

The beach, you wally!

11:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home