18 March 2005

Things I Learned This Week

My list of bits of information that were of interest (to me anyway) when I came across them this week:

1. Pizza is better at retaining DNA than chocolate when someone leaves a bite mark. Carrots, cheese and apples are good, too, but chicken wings and corn-on-the-cob aren't so great. I wonder if Gil Grissom knows this. (SkyNews.com)

2. Beheading is fatal. Okay, maybe that's not funny, but there's a reason why I say that. See my earlier post on a stupid local radio news reporter.

3. Green tea can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Two to three cups a day even have enough of whatever chemical it is to make a difference in laboratory tests. (SkyNews.com)

4. Local government comes up with the dumbest names. For years local roundabouts have had their own names, and they're all based on landmarks or road names. In Rotherham there is the "Mushroom Roundabout". In Sheffield there are things like the "Bramall Lane Roundabout" near the Sheffield United football grounds (on Bramall Lane). In Chesterfield, there is the "Tesco Roundabout". But now they're even naming crossroads! I was driving into Chesterfield today and noticed that the main crossroads in Eckington, always referred to as "the main traffic lights in Eckington", are now the "ATCO Crossroads". ATCO? There's no ATCO, whatever that is, anywhere near there! What a stupid name.

5. Michael Jackson is really dead and has been replaced by a "creature". It says so on The Onion, so it must be true! They've evidently found the real Jacko's body, complete with single silver sequined glove, on the grounds of the Neverland Ranch!



6. Marmite scares young children. At least the latest Marmite commercial does. Advertising watchdogs have decided that, from the viewpoint of a three-year-old, seeing mummies and daddy's running in terror from a giant blob of the stuff is over the top. (BBCNews.com)



7. Condoms are allowed to have holes in them. There is an international standard that specifies how many holes they are allowed to have. (SkyNews.com)



8. Britney Spears has her own perfume. Oh dear god no, please tell me people don't actually buy the stuff ...

9. Checking the obituaries can sometimes freak you out. I've blogged about this separately so will spare you the details.

10. Indoor rowing competitions do not involve water. My friend Jamie said he was trying to enter one of these competitions for this weekend (he's a real "Renaissance Man"), and I asked what kind of building was big enough to house a river. It was a joke. Ha ha. I'm trying to lighten things up after number 9.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I sent a link to this post to Jamie so he could see where I'd given him a mention. His reply (by email) was: "The competion was cancelled, no reason given but I suspect the venue may have sprung a leak somewhere!"

2:44 pm  
Blogger anna said...

hahaha, about the condoms: ask ross and rachel from friends how safe the sex is with a condom...;)

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home