28 October 2006

And Sometimes They Reappear ...

Last night has to go down in the books as a very interesting evening! As soon as I walked into the pub the landlord Howard said, "Your gentleman friend is here". And sure enough, there was Dave, sitting the in the corner with his friend Paul playing cards. For the longest time he didn't even look in my direction, but when it came time for his round of drinks, he spoke to me. All I got was a short apology for the fact he hasn't rang me (it had been well over a week since the last time I'd heard from him) but he's had "a lot on". Yeah, so much that some common courtesy was too much trouble.

He wanted to know what I was doing after I finished work. I had plans. I was meeting someone to share a bottle of wine and a lovely evening, which I did have and loved every minute of. Even if I didn't have plans, did he think I was going to jump at the chance to see him after work when he couldn't even be bothered to let me know what the hell was going on?

For heaven's sake, I don't want constant phone calls and someone around me 24/7. Everyone needs their own time and their own space, so it suited me very well that he was working out of town Monday to Friday with a night back in Chesterfield sometime during the week. But to be shown a degree of respect ... That's all I ask for.

But it gets more interesting. After his friend left to go meet his girlfriend, Dave went to sit with Malorie. She had a text come through from one of her male friends calling her a bitch. I don't know why, but that's what these idiots she hangs around with do. It seems to be cool to send texts slagging each other off. She showed it to Dave though, and the next thing she knew, he was sending this boy a text back telling him to show Malorie some respect.

Nothing wrong with that. Dave's just a bit younger than I am so, like me, he doesn't see what's so funny about sending messages like that. But whereas I think the best approach is just to ignore them, he couldn't let it rest. For two hours it was flying text messages which escalated to phone calls. Oh my god ... I was not impressed whatsoever, by what the boy was saying to my daughter or by what Dave was saying to the boy! According to Malorie, he asked Dave "Well who are you?" and Dave's reply was, "I'm Malorie's mum's boyfriend".

Excuse me? I didn't know he was my boyfriend! I wish someone had told me!

I also had a missed call from Dave, but I'd left my mobile in my car overnight. At least I know he hadn't lost my number, but it was just too little too late. He's an absolutely lovely man, don't get me wrong, and I honestly like him. He has a generous nature and a kind heart. He's just too wrapped up in himself at the moment.

I'm not really callous, though I think it might sound like I am. I'm not bitter, I'm not feeling bitchy, and I'm not upset. I just don't like being treated as a convenience, and these twats I seem to be finding need to learn to treat women with more respect. One day they might grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home