30 October 2006

What Friends Are For

I have made some really good friends in the pub where I work. Most of them are in and out regularly, but there are a few who come in for a while, then get busy with their lives and don't have a chance to prop the bar up and drink beer. Yesterday one of my friends, who I haven't seen in at least a month, was there. Craig's a really nice and very funny Scottish guy who looks a bit like Jesus (minus the holes in the hands and feet), and we usually end up having discussions about music and movies. Because it had been so long since I'd seen him, when I left to go home after my shift ended, I gave him a big hug.

Today I found out that one of his best friends, who has cancer, isn't expected to live out the night, so I gave Craig another hug. This evening I got this text message: "I went to see Barry after I left you today. He's in that morphine-induced half-life between this world and the next. Your hug helped me be strong."

It's amazing how the smallest things you can do for a friend end up meaning so much. Never underestimate the power of your actions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's often the simplest things that make the biggest impact.
I'm sorry for your friend's friend but I'm glad he has someone as wonderful as you around him during such a difficult time.
****HUGS!!!****

4:28 pm  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks Pam! I was so touched that it had meant that much to him. :-)

1:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home