27 November 2006

My First Day in the Office ...

I survived my first day at my new job! I think it'll work out well. The work is easy enough to pick up, that's for sure. There's a lot to remember, but after meeting some of my fellow employees I'm sure that if they can do it, so can I! Most of them look like they're closer to Malorie's age than mine, but seeing as how I just spent three years at university with fellow students young enough to be my children, I can handle that with no problem.

In fact, one of my former classmates works in the same office! I thought the blonde at the mopier (no, not copier, mopier ...) looked familiar, and it turns out it's my friend Nicola! She was my roommate when we went on the trip to Strasbourg and Brussels in February. The first thing she did after asking what the hell I was doing there was tell me that I have to go with her next Wednesday to our old uni to watch the annual student/teacher Christmas debate. I went last year and it's the most hysterical thing you could ever see! She has big plans for dragging me out clubbing afterwards, but somehow I don't think that showing up on a Thursday morning hung over, and when it's only my second week on the job, would go down too well ... I'll stick with Coke ...

But the company itself seems like it's a good place to work. One of the first things the woman who lead the induction this morning asked is if I have any kids under 12. When I told her about Ricky and Jack, she signed them up for the company's Christmas party for kids, and since I can't do a lot for the boys for Christmas this year due to lack of money, I'm glad I can at least take them to this party. Santa will be there handing out pressies ... They're both very excited about it!

The company is also paying for each team to go for a Christmas lunch next week and giving us an extra hour (paid) so we can enjoy ourselves. Plus there's a New Year's Ball at the end of January. I'm not overly thrilled at the idea of going, especially since it's employees only so I can't even drag someone along with me in case I don't know anyone else going, but the partners and senior management will be there, so it's a chance to let them get to know who I am.

I'm quite excited about having a full-time job, and though I'm sure the work will become pretty routine and boring because it's hardly what you could call challenging, it still gives me my weekends off! Seeing as how things have been happening at the pub lately that have made me reluctant to work there anymore, I'm well out of there and off on the first step of what I hope is a career ladder!

3 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

Congratulations! :D I hope this job works out well for you, Mel.

3:00 am  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thanks mate! It's not very challenging, but it's a start on the success ladder! I hope it is anyway! :-)

9:11 pm  
Blogger g d townshende said...

Well, everyone has to start somewhere, and starting where you are is just as good as anywhere else, my friend.

12:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home