17 December 2006

How'd I Do in 2006?

About this time last year I posted my goals for 2006. I believe in setting goals for the New Year rather than make "resolutions". It's something positive to work towards. Now I thought that since 2007 is just around the corner, I'd have a look at how I've done. Not bad, not good, but the way my life changed this year it's any wonder I met any of my goals!

1. Finish university with at least a 2:1. I did it! This was the first goal on my list because it was the most important to me. And despite everything, I made it!

2. Get on top of my debt. Well I still have some outstanding debts, but I've been able to get on top of them, get most paid off and keep my head above water. I haven't been able to buy the kids all the best stuff for Christmas this year, but for the first time in something like five years, I haven't had to take out a loan to buy them presents! And it feels so good!

3. Either get a good job or find a way into an MSc programme. I found a "real job". Okay, it's not what I had in mind when I started my degree, but it's paying the bills and getting some work experience that will help me. I still want to do the MSc, and maybe I can save up the money I need to do it in the next couple of years. I haven't given up on that idea!

4. Have a real holiday. Didn't quite manage that this year. I almost made it to Texas for a fortnight until that was cancelled. In a way I'm glad it was. I had my interviews for this new job during the time I would have been there. I also met someone special for the first time. I did have a fabulous weekend in Holland with Kate, Diana and Martin in July!

5. Get to my goal weight and tone up my body. Have to go 50/50 on this one. I did get to my goal weight, but I've put a bit back on. I'm fairly happy with how much I weigh though. I don't want to be too skinny. As for the toning up ... well, I'm sort of working on that ...

6. Spend more mother-daughter time with Malorie. I did spend a lot more time with her, and at one point she told me that she thought of me more as a big sister than a mum. That's probably why she rebelled when I had to enforce the house rules. But we're closer than we have been in years, and I know she can tell me anything. Scary, but true.

7. Compete in at least one Tae Kwon Do tournament. I did it! I was scared I'd completely forget my pattern, which some of the more experienced women did, but I made it through and actually scored in the mid-field. I had hoped to compete in the British Championships this year, but circumstances kind of blew that idea ...

8. Complete one family scrapbook. Nope. I haven't scrapped a single page since January. I'll stick that goal back on for 2007. With my life being a bit more organised, I'd like to do it. It's very relaxing, and I have so many great photos of the kids!

9. Keep the house tidier. I pretty much put that goal on to appease Simon. His philosophy was that the kids should do all the housework, but what was left over when I got home from university was my job. Once I get this house into shape, it's going to stay that way!

10. Do one of the things on my list of things to do in my lifetime. Yep, I did it! I had something published! Okay, it wasn't in a glamourous publication or anything like that. It was in the Mark Webber Supporters Club fan magazine. But it's an international publication which has been mentioned in F1 Racing Magazine. Good enough for me!

11. Go through my gradings up to green belt. I didn't make it past yellow tag. With needing surgery, I had to give up on going to lessons. I can't seem to find a local Tae Kwon Do school, but my former instructor has schools in Sheffield and Doncaster, and I'm going to see if I can find a class one night during the week with him. He's a great instructor and never once made me feel like an idiot, unlike some of the instructors I've heard about!

1 Comments:

Blogger g d townshende said...

I think it sounds as if you did rather well, Melinda, considering all that's happened to you this year. I've been working on my own list of goals for 2007, as I've done since — what? — the end of 2004? Yup. Since the end of 2004.

It will likely be a little while before I post mine, though. Keep an eye out for it! :D

11:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home