23 December 2006

Oh My ...

Every now and then it's just one of those days when you know you would have been better off staying in bed all day. It's been one of those days for me!

The Christmas driving curse that seems to strike my family hit me today. A few years ago, for two Christmases in a row, in fact, my mother was in car accidents a couple of days before Christmas. She was fine, and neither was her fault, but it started the standing joke about how she shouldn't get out in the run-up to Christmas.

I didn't know the "curse" was going to jump the Atlantic and strike me! I'd been having trouble with my jeep lately because of the extreme cold. Once it warms up its fine, but for a while it makes the most awful noise. So today during my dinner break, I thought I'd take it home and borrow one of my ex's cars so that I wouldn't run the risk of it totally breaking down on the side of the road after work when it was dark.

I stopped for a red light at a roundabout, and BANG! A white van slammed me from behind. How he missed that turquoise jeep stopped in front of him I'll never know! He got out, saw that there was absolutely no damage to either vehicle, wished me a Merry Christmas and took off. The traffic was so heavy I never even got a proper look at his number plate. How many people have said to me "You should have got his vehicle registration number"? Considering what I do for a living, I know I should have, and I did try to! I was a bit shocked by the impact, and what I did get of his number plate vanished in the haze that my brain was experiencing.

I felt fine, headed home to finished what I'd left work to do in the first place, sent a text to someone saying I'd been rear-ended on the dual carriageway, and went back to work. That's when the aches started. Seems I've been given a nice case of whiplash for Christmas. It's not just what I always wanted! I'm fine though. The doctor checked me out, told me off for not going straight to casualty (I felt fine for the first hour or so after it happened), said it was just muscular with nothing broken, and prescribed me some tablets that are going to make the next few days more fun than I could have imagined!

I should have had the afternoon off anyway because we were only scheduled to work until noon with the rest of the day off with pay, but I volunteered to work the full day to get the time and a half. Well, I almost made it through the afternoon!

Tonight I went round that same roundabout on the way to Tesco without incident. I wish I could say going shopping had been incident free, but at one point I lost Jack in the masses of people who had the same idea of waiting until after 10 pm to go in.

And what makes people who, the rest of the year are nice, normal people, suddenly become rude and ignorant because it's a few days before Christmas? It's like they lose all sense of common courtesy once they're in control of a shopping trolley! One woman in a fur coat blocked an aisle for so long it created a back up I can only compare to trying to get off the M1 at Meadowhell!

Now I've had my whinge, the kids are in bed, and I'm going to wrap more presents! It's Jack's birthday tomorrow, and he's already itching to start opening them all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home